david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This Halloween, look no further than the not-so-distant past for some costume inspiration. The 1990s and 2000s were a time of many iconic looks, both in real life and in movies. These costume ideas are easy to put together, and you’ll remind everyone of a time filled with good music and funky fashion, as well as when Disney Channel was on top of their game.

Lizzie McGuire

The Lizzie Mcguire Movie may be the most iconic film from our childhoods. Even more iconic? Lizzie and Isabella’s outfits as they expose Paolo’s lying ways and slay the pop performance of a lifetime. Wanna have a whole coliseum shaking this Halloween? Have a bestie you wanna dress up with? Basically, to go as Lizzie, wear a blonde wig, purple pants, a purple crop top and some type of purple jacket. To go as Isabella, wear a brunette wig, a green skirt, a green crop top, and a green jacket. Finish off both looks with a fake headset mic. “This is what dreams are made of!”

The Cheetah Girls

The most influential girl group ever (sorry, not sorry, Spice Girls). With three movies comes many iconic looks, so grab three besties and choose which iconic Cheetah girls ensemble matches y’all’s styles. Feeling the sista vibes? Wear different colored tracksuits with matching headbands. Want to have a Cinderella moment? Wear white outfits with different cheetah print touches. Basically, if you’re wearing cheetah print you can’t go wrong.

Britney Spears

Britney is the embodiment of a teen star. Of all her recognizable looks, everyone knows her “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” and for good reason. It’s a classic. Grab a black skirt, grey knee-high socks, a white button-up tied like a crop top, a grey cardigan and pink ribbon for her iconic pigtail braids. Voila you have an easy and fun costume.

Zenon

Wanna be a supernova girl? For some reason, this movie gets overlooked even though it was hands down one of the best Disney Channel Original movies. To go as Zenon, your average girl next door in space, grab some neon pink leggings and top, then pair that with a metallic blue skirt and vest. To add some extra fun to the look, throw your hair up in either high pigtails or space buns.

The Plastics

Although the Plastics from Mean Girls had their own ideas about Halloween costumes, their best looks from the movie come from the movie poster. Halloween is on a Wednesday, and everyone knows, on Wednesday, we wear pink! Grab two friends and go as the infamous trio. For Karen, wear a pink mini skirt, a light pink top and add a blue ribbon to the top. For Gretchen, wear a brown plaid skirt and a pink top. For the queen bee, Regina George, wear a pink mini skirt, a pink cardigan and a white top, but add “a little bit dramatic” in pink marker on the top for the full effect.

Legally Blonde

Elle Woods is the kind of female role model up to which any girl boss can look. She conquered Harvard Law; like, is it even hard? She never compromised who she was or her own style in the process. She rocked pink throughout the film, but her best look comes in her final courtroom showdown, where she shows up in a flamboyant pink dress and blows away everyone present. To release your inner Elle Woods, wear a long sleeve pink dress or a pink suit, if you can find one, and then pink shoes. Basically, if you have pink, you already have an Elle Woods costume.

Mia Thermopolis

Although I think every girl has wanted to be a princess at some point in her life, I think Mia Thermopolis represented every girl before she ever knew she was royalty. Find a plaid skirt, a blue button-down shirt and chunky white socks; curl your hair into messy perfection and then add a chunky pair of glasses. BOOM! You’re the new princess of Genovia!

Rachel Putnam

Chapel Hill '20

Junior at UNC Chapel Hill English / Political Science