This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Given the political climate at the moment, chances are you’re passionate about a topic, whether it be intolerance, injustice, or inequality. Protests are a college trope for a reason – it’s a time where young people are surrounded by others that have the same beliefs and values. Over the past two years that I’ve attended UNC-CH, I’ve seen plenty of protests and demonstrations about a number of topics at the school alone. I applaud those who are brave enough to stand up for what they believe in, but I think more students should be involved in local and national politics. It’s great to be passionate about a problem, but doing something to change the circumstances is what really matters.

Outreach

Outreach is the most basic way to bring awareness to an issue and get more people involved. A great tool to utilize is social media. Not only does social media allow you to involve family and friends, but you can also find other groups of people who are passionate about the same issue or topic for networking. You can even target posts at specific people who may be more likely to join your efforts for change.

Not only does outreach include spreading the word to friends and strangers, but it also includes lobbying. It may seem tedious, but getting in touch with governors and senators is actually simple and usually results in action. All it takes is a quick call or email to tell your government official that your topic needs to be addressed. You may get a real reply or a form letter, but either way, you still did your part.

Events & Organizations

If you’re having trouble finding others with the same interests, organizations are the way to go. Again, social media is a valid option for finding people with the same interests. However, it’s pretty easy to find organizations near you if you know where to look, especially on campus. For example, there’s a list of campus organizations and clubs online, including a description and contact information. You can also ask people who are hosting events or demonstrations – they would be happy to get more people involved.

Hosting events or interest meetings are also great ways to find others around you. For example, some of the Silent Sam protests were organized by outside groups from Durham, but students participated because they shared the same cause. Students also organized demonstrations to raise awareness on campus, which definitely worked. The red ball that seemed to squish itself between columns on campus buildings probably led you to investigate.

Vote!

The best way to get politically involved is to vote as much as possible. Vote for midterm elections, for amendments, for the next president of the United States. If your representatives aren’t reacting to calls and emails, vote for someone who will. For those who won’t vote, encourage them. Get involved with organizations that register others to vote (there are plenty). Voting for people who share your beliefs and values is the ultimate tactic to advance change in our republic. Every vote counts, so register now!

A senior at UNC-Chapel Hill, Sabrina is a Journalism and English double-major hoping to turn her love for reading and writing into a career in publishing. When Sabrina isn't in classes or working at the Wilson Library on campus, she works as an intern at a boutique literary agency focused in Raleigh, NC.