“She’s The First” is Providing Education to Girls All Over the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Have you heard about the campus organization that raises support for young women in low-income countries to get an education? If you haven’t, you are in luck. Today we will be giving you all the deets on this organization: She’s the First.

Her Campus and She’s the First are partners on the national level, so the ladies from the Her Campus Chapel Hill and She’s the First UNC teams thought, “Sweet! Let’s get our organizations more involved together on campus!”

She’s The First UNC team

She’s the First’s vision statement reads, “She’s the First [is a national organization] that provides scholarships to girls in low-income countries with the goal of creating first-generation graduates and our next generation of global leaders.” The organization can be found on high school and college campuses all over the country. Each campus chapter is assigned a girl from one of She’s the First’s partner schools to sponsor throughout that girl’s student career.

Sophomore, Sophie Whelchel, started the UNC-Chapel Hill chapter last spring.

“I first heard about She’s the First when a friend of mine started a chapter at her school. I immediately wanted to start at chapter at UNC-Chapel Hill because I believe that educating girls can solve many global problems and create systematic change,” Whelchel tells Her Campus.

Why is women’s education important? Education empowers women to make their own choices and determine their own future. By sponsoring these women to be educated, She’s the First is empowering them to decide their own future.

Girls’ Education Facts

She’s the First not only empowers the women they sponsor, but also the women who do the sponsoring. It gives those on the sponsoring side the opportunity to stand up and make a difference in the world for the sake of women’s education and empowerment across the globe.

Want to get involved? She’s the First is hosting its first fundraising event of the semester this Saturday, Oct. 31 at 11 a.m.  Join the organization for Haunted Yoga on UNC’s quad (in front of Wilson Library).  The cost is $5 (both card and cash accepted) and tickets are being sold in The Pit this Friday, Oct. 30 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. You can also buy your tickets online through the event’s Facebook page.

BYOYM! Translation: Bring your own yoga mat! If you don’t have one, a towel will do. And if you don’t have a towel, don’t worry because the event takes place on the grass! Let’s just hope the lawn has been mowed recently.

Elizabeth Hennigan is a journalism major with a minor in entreprenuership at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As well as being a full time student, she works for her school newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, and is a Social Media Executive for She's the First: Chapel Hill. Stay tuned for the launch of her personal lifestyle blog coming in a few months and follow her on instagram @ehennigan17. 
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.