Career

My Double Life: Balancing Work and School During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’ve had the great opportunity to accept an extension on my summer internship. Now, I work part-time at a software company while completing my senior year. This is what an average weekday looks like: 

7 a.m. – My first alarm goes off. 

7:15 a.m. – I go downstairs for a 30-minute at-home workout. I follow a weight training program by Lauren Gleisberg that keeps my workout time short and sweet. 

7:45 a.m. – After my shower, I head to the fridge where I keep my latest obsession: overnight oats. I love making this breakfast the night before because it’s high in protein, easy to make and tastes like chocolate cake. 

8 a.m. – I log on to my software company email and start the day by finishing up some projects. I discovered the Pomodoro method, which is a 25-minute block of solid work followed by a 5-minute break (I use my breaks to check email, cross things off my to-do list, fill my water bottle, etc.). 

8:45 a.m. – Meeting time! I split my time between IT communications work and internal marketing projects. 

9:30 a.m. – The second cup of coffee is calling me. I have a Keurig machine but feel awful about how wasteful it is with single-use coffee pods. I’m always looking for recommendations on how to remedy this. 

9:45 a.m. – Time for class! I fire up my personal laptop and log in to Zoom. I have back-to-back classes today that are focused on marketing and communications. 

1 p.m. – My classes are over, and the afternoon is mine. First, I’ll take a lunch break. I’ve been trying to eat more plant-based meals while keeping my protein intake up, so Beyond Burgers are a go-to — a vegetarian meal with the signature flavor of a hamburger.

2 p.m. – I read a chapter of a book (or watch an old episode of The Office). I bring my laptop outside to make progress on a research paper. 

3 p.m. – I log back onto my software company email and work on my weekly tasks. I love making a difference to my coworkers by participating in communications initiatives. 

4 p.m. – Afternoon snack. I love plain Greek yogurt and buy it in bulk with granola. 

5 p.m. – The workday is over! I usually take my Golden Retriever, Sampson, for his daily walk at the end of the workday. It feels great to reset and clear my head. 

7 p.m. – It’s dinner time at last. I’m learning how to cook and love new recipes. 

8 p.m. – I live close to a Target, so I sometimes head out with my mask to safely pick up the necessities. I’ve become interested in “clean” and sustainable products because they are better for us and the environment. 

9 p.m. – I watch TV with my longtime boyfriend, Drew. We’ve been watching shows on Netflix (Ozark was great), and I sometimes talk him into watching home-improvement shows with me. They’re a guilty pleasure! 

11 p.m. – Reading in bed until I fall asleep. 

This is my daily schedule… on a good day. It looks a little different than most because I’m doing work and school. 

Some days, I’m too tired to exercise before the day starts. On those days, I try to fit in my workout later in the day (this is at least once per week). I aim to wrap up by 5 p.m. to strike a work-school-life balance, but there are often lingering class assignments that keep me at my desk. 

Pandemic life makes college look different — I never expected that I’d be away from campus taking my last classes fully remote. With that said, I’m trying my best to look at the bright side of this situation as much as possible.

The good parts are plentiful: I get to live a double life, splitting my time between work and school. I get to try remote work, which is rare for many entry-level jobs and internships. I’m grateful to have the opportunity to spend time working by choice, not necessity. It turns out that I love the WFH life, and I would be thrilled if I get to do it full-time following my graduation next year. 

I’m not alone in this dilemma, as my experience leading a double life the semester is applicable to many other UNC students, along with countless students at other schools across the country and world. Though balancing an internship and full school schedule is daunting, it’s possible and rewarding. As said by best-selling author and happiness guru, Gretchen Rubin, “Focus not on doing less or doing more but on doing what you value.” College students should consider internships during the semester—not to overload themselves with more work— but to add immense value to their college lives that will serve as a stepping stone for the future. 

Internships are great because I get to try a company out, and that company gets to try me out in return. Nothing I’ve done before compares to what I’ve found here in my current role. I love my work for so many reasons, from the impactful projects to the emphasis on diversity and inclusion. Plus, the skills I’m learning will be critical when the time comes to apply for that first job. Everyone here has been welcoming and has made me feel like a true part of the group. I feel lucky to be here with this double life each day, no matter what it looks like. 

Internal Communicator. Brand Strategist. Copywriter. Public Relations Student. I am currently a senior public relations student at the University of North Carolina with a dual minor in health & society and creative writing. As a passionate storyteller, I draw inspiration from my education and experiences to create meaningful work. I aspire to work in global corporate communications to help champion the efforts of inclusivity and employee satisfaction in the workplace. 
In my free time, you will probably find me reading, enjoying a workout at the gym, or trying out a new dessert recipe.