Career

My College Summer In Chapel Hill: Internships, Jobs, and Everything In Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Ah yes, the summer before senior year of college. It’s a time to make memories, build your resume and experience a little bit more of the wonders that the world has to offer you — and for me, it was all that and more. I know a lot of people travel to all sorts of wonderful, interesting and memorable places over the summer for even more amazing internship and school opportunities, but for me, I found my heart leading me to a rewarding summer right here in Chapel Hill.

It started off with the internship of a lifetime. Working as the Publicity Intern for the Jane Austen Summer Program gave me the most amazing opportunity for which an Austen-loving and writing-obsessed college student could ask. I got to interview famous authors, write all sorts of blog posts, help with press releases, create content for social media and go to a convention that filled my heart with so much joy. I also got to help set things up, take them down and be a part of many of the processes in between.

It helped me build my resume, and it helped show me why internships can be so impactful in college.

I’ve also never necessarily heard anything good about the monotony of a nine to five job, but working one this summer gave me memories and experiences that I’ll always love. I built my resume, while also working in an office environment that I enjoyed, and with people that were extremely kind. 

Between jobs and internships, my summer in Chapel Hill helped to point me into a new direction in terms of my future. I started thinking about graduate school programs, considering what I wanted to pursue as a future career path and using the tools and resources that were in front of me to turn those plans into a reality. 

Aside from that, a summer in Chapel Hill meant a summer with friends, and I don’t think I’ll ever be short of stories to tell about all of the amazing memories I was able to make with people I hold near and dear to my heart.

Are any of you planning your next summer already? Or maybe you’re feeling nostalgic about a past summer? Consider a summer in Chapel Hill (or consider an exciting job, a fun internship or places to go with friends). For me, summer is about what you’re doing, who you’re with and if you love the environment where you are. I loved everything about my Chapel Hill summer, and as we get back into the groove of things with school, it’s one that I’ll be reminiscing on for many weeks to come.

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.