This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Whenever I start a TV show or movie, my mom always ends up enthralled and will sit down to watch with me. I don’t often mind this since it’s fun to spend time with her. She’s very animated when we watch things, physically and verbally reacting to the scenes which makes the experience so much funnier. 

Over the summer, I rewatched the first two seasons of Siren, a TV show about mermaids in a small Seattle town. In a different article, I talked about getting excited about the third season. I realized after the fact that I didn’t remember a lot of what happened since the pilot episode — hence my decision to rewatch the series. Since I watched it in my living room, my mom would watch some of it before bed. Soon, it turned into us watching it together until long after midnight. 

This would’ve been completely fine if it weren’t for her reactions. Namely, the constant giggling about which characters were going to have sex again. You see, Siren is a great, progressive show that is very open about the romantic and sexual relationships between characters. However, my dear mom is reduced to a 12-year-old when the sex scenes or sexually tense scenes are on.

I truly wouldn’t have minded it, but I get incredibly flustered when watching sex scenes with my mom. It’s somewhat of a mortifying experience, my mom giggling at the erotic scenes and then begging to watch another episode.

We finished all three seasons together, regardless, and now we’re just waiting on season four’s confirmation date (it most likely will not come out until next year). Despite everything embarrassing about watching an extremely provocative TV show with my mom, I would 100% do it again, and I plan on it!

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.