This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I have been holding off starting any TV series because of my hectic schedule over the past few months. Currently, I find myself to be just as busy, but with a little more free time due to the stay-at-home order that was recently issued. Instead of pining after the sweet freedom that was going outside (I know that I can still go outside, but you know what I mean), I decided now was as good a time as any to start or catch up on some series I’ve had my eye on.

Motherland: Fort Salem

Motherland: Fort Salem had been hyped up on so many platforms before it premiered on Mar. 18, 2020. The trailer was ominous and revealed little of what would happen, aside from two sides amping up for a war that features prominent female leaders. I’ve only watched the first episode so far, but oh. My. God. This is going to be something I’ll be obsessed with for a while. The characters are dynamic and diverse and witches, a perfect combination! 

Watch On: Hulu

Siren

I’ve been in love with this series for a while now, and the third season just aired on Apr. 2. The cast is diverse and plays with the concept of mermaids and sirens, reimagining them as dangerous creatures that are just as intelligent as humans. This is going to be an interesting season, with a merchild (merbaby?) being born and a new foe being introduced.

Watch On: Hulu

AJ and the Queen

This show sat in my Netflix queue for a few months before I decided it was going to be my first quarantine binge watch. Starring RuPaul of RuPaul’s Drag Race, this Netflix original follows Robert, a drag queen wronged by his boyfriend, who goes on a tour, performing as Ruby Red to win money to buy his own drag club. A stowaway throws a wrench in all of that in a hilarious and tear-jerking season. 

Watch On: Netflix

Kim’s Convenience

I watched the first two seasons on YouTube before it became available on Netflix, along with the third season, last year. This is a sweet Canadian sitcom about a Korean-Canadian family that owns a convenience store. You can obviously imagine the high jinks and shenanigans the characters can get into, but the series offers heartfelt moments that make you think about your relationship with your family. I’m looking forward to binge-watching the fourth season, this week.

Watch On: Netflix

I’m a big fan of binge-watching shows like Kim’s Convenience and AJ and the Queen, but the week-by-week release of Motherland: Fort Salem and Siren excites me because I know there’s something to look forward to every week, until their season finales. By then, I should have something new to be hooked on, and maybe you will too.

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.