This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

My 2016 New Years Resolution was to journal. I had already been journaling for years, but I decided that with the New Year, I would focus on mindfulness and self-awareness. I fell in love with the idea of bullet journaling, but I quickly realized I lacked the creativity and self-discipline to stick with that journaling regime. Naturally, I took to Pinterest and Instagram and eventually found the Gathering Momentum worksheet. Designed by blogger Jessica Mullen, this worksheet features several prompts that require reflection and thought, with the ultimate goal of starting the day grateful, focused, and mindful.

Having been home these past few days, I set out to organize my desk, after years of collecting junk. However, amidst the mess, I found a treasure: a month of my Gathering Momentum entries. Rather than print the worksheet, I had found an old, half-used composition book and started writing. Every morning for one month, I journaled. No matter what was going on in my life, I made sure to have an entry for every morning. Looking back at my entries, I had a better outlook on my life that I do now. With this routine, I was so self-aware, so focused, so intentional with everything I did. Now, I miss that girl.

I’m not one to believe in destiny or subscribe to the whims of fate, but this has to be some kind of sign. As a freshman, adjusting to college proved way more difficult than I could have imagined. Some days, I felt like I was drowning in reading passages, and others I was suffocating in the crowded walkways in between classes. Coming back to class in the coming week, I am going to integrate this routine back in my life (or at least try to!) Here’s how you can do it:

1. Start by writing down ten things you are grateful for.

It can be anything that brings you even the slightest bit of gratitude. Write down the first few things that pop into your head, then slow down, and really think about the blessings in your life, the little things that bring you joy, and the people and actions that may go unnoticed or unappreciated.

2. Q & A.

Next, have a little Q&A with yourself. Break the ice with your reflections. This part of your reflection can range from silly and trivial, to meaningful and introspective, and my past entries show me that I did both! It all depends on your focus for that day.

3. Write down five things you LOVE.

Again, this can be anything. Write down anything you think of that has a special place in your heart.

4. Write down three things you are excited about.

Look ahead to what is coming. Flip your planner a few weeks, months ahead and focus on what is coming. For just a second, forget about the present, and focus on what might be coming in the future that could bring you joy.

5. Answer the prompt: “Wouldn’t it be nice if….”

Let yourself daydream for a minute. Forget about concrete plans, focus instead on what you want in life, however outrageous or unimaginable it may seem. Writing it down is the first step to making it a reality.

6. Give yourself a pep-talk.

Answer the prompt “Advice from My Higher Self” Step away from your present self for a moment. Think about your current emotions or situation. Imagine a friend was in your position. What would YOU say to them? Give yourself some quality advice. Trust your instincts, but also trust your own advice.

7. Fill in the blank: “Today I intend to____”

Set a goal for the present. Focus specifically on the day ahead and set one goal. Something achievable, but also something that you would consider a significant accomplishment. Do something for you. Set your goal, then go out with the intention of meeting it.

8. Write down your affirmations of the day.

Find a quote that speaks to you, or think back on one of your favorites. This can be a bible verse, song lyric, or any piece of advice that you want to hold onto for the day. Carry this affirmation for the rest of the day, remind yourself of it when you need to. Go out into the world armed with your own arsenal of affirmations.

9. Lastly, write down four people that inspire you.

To end your mindful morning, think about the people who encourage you, who make you the best version of yourself. This can range from a best friend, a relative, but also to a celebrity, or inspirational person from history. Think about the people or the icons who will give you strength for the day ahead. Hold onto to this inspiration.

10. Go into the world with mindfulness and peace!

This routine can be done by printing out worksheets, which can be found on Jessica Mullen’s blog page, or by just grabbing any old notebook. So brew some coffee, grab a pen, and have yourself a mindful morning!

Maddie Ellis

Chapel Hill '22

Maddie is a freshman at UNC. Ready to take on a new journalistic pursuit, she is so excited to join Her Campus. Maddie is an English major, and she is also involved in Carolina for the Kids #morale! Maddie loves classic literature, horoscopes, and her planner, and if she is not writing or reading, she can probably be found at a group fitness class or Chopt.