This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As a senior in my last year at UNC-Chapel Hill, there are a lot of things I’ve loved for a long time. I’ve had the same friends since my first year, gone to the same restaurants and coffee shops and taken classes with the same professors. Considering this is my last year in Chapel Hill, I’ve realized that I, like many upperclassmen, have a routine that could benefit from some variety. Here are a few ways to get started:

1. Go to new places and try new things.

There is definitely a good amount of appeal to the tried and true, but just because you love some things doesn’t mean there aren’t others you could appreciate just as much! Adding new, fun things into your rotation means that you’ll appreciate your old favorites; if new things aren’t great, the old spots look better. If the new spot pays off, you have more great choices! I recently moved to Carrboro and have expanded past my usual Franklin Street favorites.

2.  Make sure you’re invested in everything you’re committed to.

Sometimes there are activities or commitments we’ve had for a while that aren’t what we need anymore. If you started a pre-med honors society and aren’t planning on applying to medical school, there’s no benefit for you to keep that up, and activities you’re not interested in can make you overwhelmed when you have other things occurring. Go through the things you regularly spend time doing and make sure it’s all working for you.

3. Expand your comfort zone.

You probably have some flexibility in your schedule with classes and activities if you’ve finished the basics. If you’ve always had a passion or interest you haven’t had the chance to explore, you have no reason to wait to pursue it. If you love to dance, check out a dance club. If you need a history credit, take a class on a country about which you’ve wanted to learn.

Your last years of college are a great time to take advantage of the unique opportunities universities and college towns can offer, get out there and check out your options.

Isabel Uzsoy

Chapel Hill

Isabel is a junior at UNC majoring in computer science and English literature. She enjoys reading, coffee, and good times with good friends.