Wellness

How to Avoid Getting Sick During the First Few Weeks Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It is officially back to school season which can also mean cold season for some students. Follow these tips to stay healthy and avoid all the bugs!

1. Stay hydrated 

Between the crazy heat and miles of walking a UNC student has to deal with every day, it’s so easy to get dehydrated. I like to keep a water bottle in the side of my backpack so that I remember to drink water throughout the day.

2. Hand sanitizer

There are so many students that touch the same surfaces every day, and you never know what germs are on it. Keeping a small bottle of hand sanitizer on you can be a lifesaver for those days when you don’t have time to wash your hands before touching your face or grabbing lunch.

3. Sleep

Although it’s almost foreign for a college student to get the required hours of sleep every night, you need to find time to rest. Whether this is an after class nap or a full night’s rest, it will help your body recover from each day and continue to battle off germs.

4. Keep your living area clean

It can be hard to keep a dorm or apartment clean when you have roommates, but never doubt the power of a Clorox wipe. If you sense that your roommate is getting sick, the best thing you can do is get some wipes and wipe down all the common surfaces at least once a day until they get better.

5. Exercise

Another way to beat the common cold is by staying active. Exercising can not only help you stay well, but also improve your energy levels. If you are feeling drowsy, grab some friends and head outside for some fun!

Good luck fighting off the germs and don’t forget to wash your hands!