#FoodforThought: Cooking is an Art, Not a Science

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Here’s the thing. A lot of people look at cooking for themselves as some kind of chore or punishment. They’ll slap a sandwich together if they have to, but they know that, deep down, they sure would love the chance to go out instead.

In my opinion, going out is unnecessary.

A lot of other people look at cooking as a science that’s difficult for them to understand. The recipe books seem like Chemistry homework, and they’re scared they’ll burn something down the moment they touch an oven.

This fear, in my opinion, is also unnecessary.

Obviously, I can’t make you love cooking, but here are some helpful hints that will hopefully ease the mental block of getting into the kitchen.

Recipes

First of all, if recipes seem intimidating, don’t use them. Use your intuition (I promise you have it, even if you think you don’t).

Spices

Secondly, learn some basic flavor profiles. Trying to work in the Tex-Mex genre? Cumin and paprika are your two best friends here. Indian dishes? Curry and red pepper. Italian food? Garlic and basil or oregano. Seafood? Old Spice is popular for a reason.

Do some brief research on what spices go with what kinds of foods. These obviously aren’t the most sophisticated herb blends, but for a college kid on a budget, investing in a half dozen jars for your spice rack really elevates your eating.

Easy Does It

Third, ease yourself into cooking. If you’re really scared of being That Person who set his or her kitchen on fire, start with something easy. Cook meals in a pan, so you can keep an eye on the food and set your mind at ease, and only work with a few ingredients. I mentioned the easy Tex-Mex fix up – throw in a can of beans, a can of tomatoes and a couple eggs in a skillet and stir until the eggs start turning things white. Then, just spice it up and serve. That’s as intricate a recipe as I’ll ever give.

Cost

Fourth, stay cheap. This one just makes sense. Use canned vegetables, if you’re going to be cooking them later. Keep rice and pasta on hand at all times. If you want more protein in your diet but meat is expensive, or you just prefer to avoid it anyway, add scrambled eggs to dishes you wouldn’t expect. There’s no need to go breaking your budget over basic ingredients when what’s really going to improve your food is the time (and spices!) you put into it.

Freezer Dinners

Fifth, try to avoid freezer aisle dinners. They’re tasty and “low calorie,” but the servings are tiny, and they quickly consume your freezer space and checkbook, if you’re not careful.

The ASMR Potential

Lastly, and this one might seem a little silly, make what you enjoy making. I, for one, know I really love chopping vegetables. It’s rhythmic and satisfying (like a live ASMR video), and I get to tell myself it’s a healthy choice, even if I’m going to smother them in cheese later. Maybe you enjoy whisking or maybe grilling with tongs because you get to make them do the little crab claw clap.

Whatever it is, find as many different ways to diversify your cooking habits as you can because, if it puts a smile on your face, it makes the whole experience better. The most important thing is to have fun and eat what you want to eat.

Ellie Baker

Chapel Hill '21

Ellie Baker is a junior studying English and Film Production and minoring in Writing for the Screen and Stage. When not working on a writing project, she can often be found buried in a sketchbook, rifling through thrift shops, or working as a pirate guide down at Bald Head Island.