This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’ve been working on getting healthier by eating right and exercising more for some time now. I don’t have a set routine or anything, but I enjoy doing a mix of strength and bodyweight workouts. If I’m too busy to dedicate a huge amount of time to a workout, I try to go on walks. The cardio portion was so difficult because I never knew if what I was doing was “enough,” meaning I didn’t know if actually did anything for me. 

I got a Fitbit around this time last year, and let me tell you, it has completely changed how I viewed cardio. Usually when I did cardio, I would go on walks around a circular neighborhood or do laps around the track by my highschool. This worked best for me since the circular areas were roughly the same size and certain amounts of laps would equate a mile. I only liked these types of areas because it made tracking cardio easy. The scenery would get boring after a while since I was literally just going in circles. When I was playing around with my Fitbit one day, I noticed how Fitbit will track your walk, jog or hike in real-time! 

I was really excited to try it out so I could explore new areas. My favorite cardio experiences are when I go hiking. I don’t have to focus on how far I go anymore or worry if the trail is circular. It also counts your steps from the car to the entrance and from the exit to wherever you go after that. The exercise isn’t fully over until you sit down, meaning every step, every movement after still counts! 

Fitbit also gives you hourly reminders to take steps to reach 10,000 daily steps. I slack off in that department on days that I’m pretty sedentary, but it’s really fun when you have a busy day and take five minutes to just pace your room every hour. I never thought that I would enjoy exercising, but Fitbit makes it bearable on days that I don’t have the motivation. I definitely think I’m better using it since it works for me!

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.