This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Walking around campus, you’re bound to see students with a coffee cup in their hand or walking to the nearest coffee shop on campus to get one.  About 90 percent of Americans consume caffeine in one form or another every single day, with the average consumption being 3.1 cups of coffee per day

There have been many studies which explain the benefits, risks and some of the effects coffee might have on you (below are some cool infographics from California College San Diego on each).

But how does this all relate to college students?

A University of Kentucky study showed that more than 78% of college freshmen consume above the recommended amount of caffeine per day.  Adding to that, recent studies have found that there is a correlation between GPA, sleeping patterns and the amount of coffee you drink.

A Huffington Post article found that developing research showed early risers are more likely to experience sleep disruption from caffeine consumption and that the amount of caffeine in their bodies correlated to the number of periods of wakefulness they experienced during the night. Even more alarming is a USA Today article claimed that students who drink a cup of coffee or more have lower grade point averages than those who don’t, according to a new survey. 

Now, this information shouldn’t scare you or turn you off from ever drinking coffee. There are still some health benefits to drinking it, and sometimes splurging on that frapp from Starbucks is good for your soul. For college students, in particular, heavily relying on coffee to get you through class shouldn’t be a crutch. Remember, moderation is key and anything in excess isn’t healthy.

A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Maurianna served as a Senior Editor and Marketing Publicity Director before becoming Campus Correspondent. Majoring in English with a concentration in Writing, Editing, and Digital Publication, she combines her love of words and digital design as the founder of a lifestyle blog, Anna Elle Liz, and brand + web design business, Mauri's Markups. When she’s not working, you can find her volunteering at the animal shelter, binge-watching home decor shows, or finding quaint coffee shops around town.