Chloe x Halle album cover, Ungodly Hour
Chloe x Halle album cover, Ungodly Hour
Columbia Records

Chloe x Halle’s Ungodly Hour: A Near-Perfect Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Chloe x Halle are most notably known for being signed by Beyonce’s entertainment company, Parkwood Entertainment. But the two sisters — Chloe, 22 and Halle, 20 — have been in the spotlight their whole lives. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was watching the Disney Channel Original Movie Let it Shine (2012) — more on DCOMs here — and I saw Chloe x Halle blip by as background gospel singers. While I don’t necessarily believe in signs from a higher power, seeing them served as a reminder to listen to their music. While Chloe x Halle have always been on my radar, I never dived into their music. That is, until a month ago, when I gave the duo’s second studio album, Ungodly Hour, a listen and fell in love. I haven’t stopped listening since.

Ungodly Hour is Chloe x Halle’s second studio album, and it released in June of this year. In a world where some albums seem sloppily put together and produced for a quick buck, there is an obvious intent with Ungodly Hour. The tracks flow seamlessly — it took me several listens to realize when “Intro” moved into “Forgive Me” — and exemplifies why track sequencing is vital to a good album. I normally listen to albums in order, all the way through. Sometimes this results in an album that feels disjointed, as if the artist was blindly choosing what song came next, but Ungodly Hour does not fall into this pitfall. Chloe x Hallie developed a truly cohesive album. Ungodly Hour focuses on the sister’s relationships — with love interests, themselves, and other women. Their lyricism is a perfect mix of detail and generalization —  “I wonder what she thinks of me when she sees that mark” — allowing Chloe x Halle to maintain their privacy while still delivering vulnerable tracks. Lyrics aside, the production is also cohesive and works seamlessly, resulting in a specific sound that I am beginning to associate with the duo — background harmonies, an ad-lib or two, and a consistent, layered beat. Even on my first listen, I was astounded by how polished the album sounded, and I only continue to be impressed.

The album can also work in multiple contexts. Chloe x Halle deliver high-tempo songs throughout that I can see myself loving on a dancefloor — albeit, given COVID-19, a hypothetical dancefloor — along with slower songs to catch your breath and sit with the music. To my surprise, I consistently listen to Ungodly Hour while studying. While I generally listen to low-fi tracks with no lyrics, Ungodly Hour both amps up and calms me. The perfect mix of up-tempo and mid-tempo songs allow me to get in the zone and focus, with slower tracks like “Overwhelmed” and “I Wonder What She Thinks of Me,” reminding myself to take a step back and take a break. 

Above all, Ungodly Hour feels like an album made by twenty-somethings, for twenty-somethings. It’s both high-spirited and self-reflective with an excellent signature sound. Chloe x Halle tackle feelings of anger, desire, elation and rumination with inspiring deftness. Whether you are looking for an album to dance to, to study to or to just listen to, give Ungodly Hour a chance; you won’t be disappointed. 

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.