#CelebratingUNC: 11 of the Best Coffee Shops on and Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Coffee is 100% my favorite drink of all time, as in, all time. With that said, it should come as no surprise that a lot of my homework is done inside different coffee shops, of which UNC and the surrounding areas seem to offer a plethora. I could probably try a different one every few days for a few weeks (which isn’t a bad idea) and still have a few left to try. Therefore, until I try them all, here’s a list of my favorite coffee shops on and around campus to date (and in no particular order)!

1. Open Eye Cafe

OK, so this coffee shop is actually in Carborro, NC, BUT it’s only right down the road from UNC, and it has one of the best chai tea lattes that I have ever tasted (and I ADORE chai tea lattes).

2. Joe Van Gogh

I love everything about this place, namely, the name. You can find the closest location right off of Weaver Dairy Road (which I also love the name of). They have lavender lattes, coffees and iced coffees, and they are truly beautiful. I’ve always been a fan of lavender in the form of the smell, but it is 100% even better in the form of a coffee flavor.  

3. Caribou Coffee

Found on East Franklin Street, I love Caribou. I’ve only been a few times, all of which have been in the fall, so, of course, the only thing I can really tell you is that their pumpkin flavors are amazing. They also have super nice seating and a chalkboard, both of which are a few nice bonuses.

4. Perennial

Located on West Franklin Street, when I step in here, I feel like I’ve stepped out of Chapel Hill and into some beautiful land of cute coffee shops and tasty coffee, and that is all I have to say about that.

5. Coco Bean Coffee Shop

Coco Bean is adorable with lots of seating and places to do work and lots and lots of options when it comes to coffees, lattes and just about everything in between. Also a location in Chapel Hill, I’ve made it a personal goal to try something new every time I go, and we’ve been successful with each option.

6. Stone and Leaf Cafe

OK, so this is probably the busiest coffee place I’ve ever seen, which makes sense given that it’s located in the heart of UNC’s campus in the UNC Student Stores. Also busy between classes, this place offers tons of seating right next to anywhere you could possibly need to be on campus, and they have good coffee. I’ve spent more time than I would like to admit doing homework here until they close each night.

7. Starbucks

It’s a given that Starbucks would be somewhere on this list. If you’re ever in a pinch, then look no further than a good ole’ fashioned Starbucks. The closest location that comes to mind would be the one on Franklin Street and the one at the UNC Hospitals, but there are quite a few in the surrounding area.

8. Dunkin’ Donuts

I can’t lie, Dunkin’ is a personal favorite of mine. The Chapel Hill location has plenty of seating and plenty of coffee. Maybe it’s just because I’ve been to it so many times back home, or maybe it’s just because they have great prices on what I would consider some pretty great iced coffee, but either way, Dunkin’ Donuts is always a yes from me.

9. Port City Java

The newly opened Port City Java in Chase Hall on UNC Campus is really cute and really tasty. I haven’t been much (given that it just opened), but I can easily see how it could become a new personal favorite.

10. Gray Squirrel Coffee Company

Also located in Carrborro, NC, just down the road from campus, Gray Squirrel is another great place to get a good cup of coffee and find a good place to sit down and get some work done, and that sounds like a good coffee shop to me.

11. Carolina Coffee Shop

Last, but certainly not least, I don’t think that this list would be complete without this Chapel Hill classic. Located on Franklin Street, Carolina Coffee Shop is adorable, and they have some pretty great coffee. When it comes down to it, what could be better than that?

Did I leave any places off this list? What are your favorite coffee shops around campus?

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.