nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Business Professional: Necessities for Summer 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With the academic year coming to an end, many college students will soon begin their summer internships.  Most internships aim to simulate a real work environment for its interns, and this includes wearing business professional clothing on a daily basis.   If this is the case for you, your closet may be in need of an upgrade!

Have no fear, HerCampus is here to provide you with four essential fashion items to take your business professional look from drab to fab!

1. Classic Blazer with a Twist

Every girl needs a great blazer in her closet, simply because it is extremely versatile! You can pair it with a skirt, tailored pants, slacks, over a dress, or even with jeans for a business-casual look! For optimum use, purchase one in navy blue or black.

Example: H&M Single-Breasted Blazer

2.   Sophisticated Skater Skirt

The knee-length skirt that you wore to your internship interview is going to serve you well! But why not spice things up with a skater skirt? Although many girls wear these on a night out, there are dressy versions that are perfect additions to your business wardrobe!

Example: H&M Circle Skirt

3.  “Not Your Grandmother’s” Flats

Of course you will want to bring out classic black or nude pumps for many of your business professional ensembles. However, don’t forget it’s ok to give your feet a break and wear some chic (and comfortable) flats! You can pair them with slacks, skirts, or even a dress to spice up any look!

Example: Kate Spade ‘gavana’ d’orsay Flat

4. The Totally Necessary Tote

Depending on your internship, you may be working from 9 to 5 everyday.  There is a 99.9% chance that you’re going to need your makeup bag (for touch-ups) a brush (for fly-aways), an umbrella, a laptop/iPad, extra pair of flats, water, snacks, lunch, a notebook, your day planner, wallet, cash, and whatever else you carry on a daily basis…so why not invest in a tote bag that can literally carry it all?  You can easily find a cute and efficient bag that will become your best friend during your daily internship duties!

Example: Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote

Is there something you consider a business attire must-have? Comment below! And, of course, happy shopping.

Journalism and Mass Communications (Public Relations) and History Minor
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.