Best Grocery Stores in the Triangle (in My Opinion)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I used to hate going to the grocery store, however as the pandemic continues to rage on, I have learned to love my trips to the grocery store because that’s the only time I get out. For my basic needs, I tend to place a Walmart order and pick it up at the store, but when I’m feeling particularly stir-crazy, I take a nice masked-up trip to one of these grocery stores to cheer myself up. For reference, I try to eat pescatarian/vegetarian, so my list is probably based on that too.

H Mart

H Mart is my number one pick for two reasons: produce and variety. They have literal restaurants and a bakery at H Mart while also just having amazing products in general — how can I not love it? I like in-store restaurants and sweets because I can reward myself for doing my errands at the end of the trip. H Mart is expensive though, so I don’t tend to go there a lot. For someone who doesn’t like going grocery store shopping, I like going to stores like this because it’s more fun, and I can buy a variety of products I can’t buy at other places. The vegetables are also quite cheap — not the fruits though. The golden kiwis are good and not that overpriced; I recommend them. It’s generally a fun store to go to from time to time that doesn’t break the bank, depending on what you buy. 

Around The World Market

Around The World Market is a smaller Indian grocery store in Raleigh that offers a large variety of produce, spices, frozen food and rice. Even though the store is smaller, they make up for it in amazing products like cheap spices. Spices are so expensive in Western grocery stores, but I can buy a whole bag of spices with cinnamon sticks and cardamom for like five or six bucks instead of $40. Sign me up. They also have good basmati rice (which is lacking in H Mart). The produce I would say is cheaper than at H Mart and good quality, but there is less variety. The produce is often stuff you can’t get at a Western grocery store. Also, I love the frozen food there because they have a lot of vegetarian options, and I don’t have to worry about hidden meat products in a dough which can be common in some cases. They also have my favorite: an in-store restaurant. I like their samosas, but they serve other stuff as well that’s equally delicious. 

Aldi

I have a love-hate relationship with Aldi. I love the prices because everything is cheap, and the quality of produce and other food items is great. I can find good off and on-brand products at a decent price. However, at least for the one in Cary, they don’t have a lot of options. The store isn’t very big and it doesn’t offer a lot of basic necessities like bathroom or home products. I would recommend this store for anyone on a budget, who wants to find a slightly different food selection from just a typical Food Lion or Walmart. It’s just, especially during a pandemic, I don’t like having to go to multiple stores to get everything I need for the month/week. It does have a diverse selection of items for a good price, so that’s why it’s higher on the list.

Trader Joe’s

I only go to Trader Joe’s for the snacks — period. I don’t like their produce or their fish. First, there just isn’t enough produce and the options that they do have are either overpriced or not very good. I hear their avocados are good, and they are sold out whenever I go so that probably rings true. Also, their fish is not that good, and it’s overpriced, so no thank you. Their snacks and frozen items make them a necessary mention on this list. I was a non-believer for a long time, but this year I went for the first time, and I have to say it’s worth the hype. It’s expensive, so I tend not to go a lot but that makes it more fun. It’s an event to go to Trader Joe’s, which makes it so fun. Also, the frozen pain au chocolat is the best thing. Come at me. 

From this list, I think it’s clear that I only like going to a grocery store if they have something special to offer. Places like Food Lion and Walmart are my go-to’s, and I probably buy things from there way more often than most of these stores. I chose these stores because they are the grocery stores I get excited to go to (when I can buy things I want rather than just what I need). So, for a person who hates grocery shopping, this is my list for now — probably until I get a membership to Costco. 

Eleanor Davis

Chapel Hill '21

I am a UNC-CH senior and a writer for HerCampus