8 Fun Activities To Make The Most Of Your College Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Who says that you have to give up some of your favorite Halloween traditions just because you’re in college? Not this girl! I don’t think that you’re ever quite old enough to outgrow all of your favorite spooky (and super fun) holiday traditions, which is why, this Halloween, I propose that we all give some of our favorite seasonal activities a go. I know we all have class and that school is definitely a little more than rough, but you just can’t quite say Halloween without doing at least some of these fun activities!

1. Decorate

Nothing says Halloween quite like some pumpkins and fake spider webs and maybe even a scary candy bowl if you’re feeling a bit adventurous (or if you just want an excuse to eat chocolate like me). I also know that we’re all sort of broke college students, and if that term applies to you at all, then there is nothing quite like a dollar store to make all of your Halloween decoration dreams come true.

2. Make a fun costume

There’s nothing quite like Halloween on Franklin Street, and there’s also nothing quite as fun as trying to find the perfect costume to get ready for it. If you’re like me, that costume might come from multiple nights spent looking at Pinterest over and over again, only to pick something last minute and stay up for hours trying to put it together, but in any case, making your own cute Halloween costume is the perfect way to get into the spirit and maybe even have fun DIYing with some friends.

3. Spend Halloween night on Franklin Street

As alluded to above, are you really a UNC student if you don’t spend your Halloween night roaming Franklin Street, showing off your costume to everyone and looking at all of the literally incredible costumes that other people had to have put literal months into making? Since I’ve been in school, I can honestly say that Halloweens spent on Franklin Street have been some of my favorite Halloweens to date!

4. Carve pumpkins

OK, so I have to admit that I haven’t actually carved a single pumpkin, since I’ve been in college, but I think this is the year that it’s all going to change. Whenever I think of the holiday season, or fall in general, I just can’t quite picture it without thinking of carved pumpkins sitting outside of my front door. Now that I’m not staying in a dorm room anymore, I think that my college pumpkin carving time has finally come, and you can believe that I’ll have a cute pumpkin sitting outside by the end of the month. Grab some friends (and some cheap carving tools) and go find some pumpkins to carve!

5. Watch scary movies

I love scary movies. No, scratch that. I adore scary movies, and what better time to watch them then the scariest season of the year? Even though none of my friends like horror films in the absolute slightest, I don’t think Halloween is quite complete without watching at least one. On that note, nothing says Halloween quite like a good old Charlie Brown Halloween special, so if anything, you and your friends should definitely have something Halloween related to watch. Take a break from studying, pop some popcorn and get to watching!

6. Make Halloween treats

This one might be a little bit difficult if you’re living in a dorm room, but rest assured, I’ve made (way too many) batches of cookies in my old residence hall kitchens. In fact, I once baked an entire tray of Thanksgiving dressing in our floor’s community kitchen, but that’s beside the point. The point is, nothing says holidays quite like some fun ghost cookies, or at least some sugar cookies with orange and black sprinkles. If you want to be more creative, now’s the time to grab some friends, Pinterest some fun Halloween snacks and get to cooking!

7. Find fun things to do on campus

This time of year, Chapel Hill is crawling with fun (and usually free) things to do for the Halloween season. I’ve gone to residence hall haunted houses, painted pumpkins in the pit and all sorts of other fun things. Don’t be afraid to take a flyer from someone when you’re walking through the pit, or read some signs posted around campus because you just might find something fun to do this holiday season!

8. Have fun

I know you’re in college, and I know college life can be pretty tough, especially when all of these holidays seem to be at the same time as big exams and papers, but you can’t let it overwhelm you to the point of not at least having a little bit of time to do all of the things you’d love to do if you just weren’t so busy. College is rough, but Halloween is pretty fun, and if it’s something you want to celebrate or use as a way to get away from your textbooks and laptop, then by all means, go for it! Celebrate this Halloween to the fullest because you only get so many college years to celebrate it.

What fun activities are you going to try this Halloween?

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.