kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

5 Ways You Can Kick Those Insecurities to the Curb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Being a girl growing up in our particularly judgmental society means that we’re pretty much guaranteed years of dealing with self-loathing thoughts and insecurities. We’re practically programmed to compare ourselves to every girl we see, as well as celebrities and models that are publicized as having perfect bodies. An insane amount of teenage and adolescent girls struggle with eating disorders and mental illnesses due to the pressures we feel about having to look a certain way. What size jeans we wear, how big our breasts are, skin discoloration and birthmarks all serve as potentially negative attributes that we use to tear ourselves down. We can’t help it, and it’s a vicious cycle to break. Deep-rooted insecurities may never go away, but there are some ways you can remind yourself that what you see doesn’t define you.

I’ve compiled a list of 5 ways that personally help me feel better when I’m struggling to love myself, and I hope that some of them might help you too.

1. Have a Dance Party/ Go Dancing

There is nothing better than completely letting loose and not giving a damn what other people think of you, and what better way to do that than by jamming to some bops with your friends? The Cat’s Cradle often hosts decade-themed dances that are incredibly fun, so grab a group of friends and literally shake those insecurities off.

2. Look in the Mirror Every Day for 5 Minutes

This seems like a weird thing to do for a really long time, but I promise it helps. The longer you look at yourself, the more “normal” your features appear to you, which decreases negative thoughts. Try to pick out one part of your appearance that you really like and think about why you like it. Often, it’s because deep down you do consider it to be beautiful, but your insecurities won’t let you admit it to yourself. Do you have natural highlights in your hair? Do your eyes change colors in certain lighting? Do you have any scars or marks on your body that tell a story? Whatever it is, it’s a unique feature to you.

3. Exercise

Working out has been proven to increase a person’s self-esteem because hey, endorphins are really great! Breaking a sweat and tiring yourself out also helps to turn off your brain because you’re only focused on the workout and nothing else. Running, biking, swimming, Zumba or even just going up and down the stairs in your dorm are great ways to get some exercise in, even if it’s just for 30 minutes a couple times a week. The Student Rec Center also offers group fitness classes every day, so be sure to check those out!

4. Spread the Love

Complimenting other people or going out of your way to do a random act of kindness for someone is one of the easiest ways to feel good about yourself. Making someone else happy makes you happy. It’s good karma. What goes around comes around. Saying one nice thing to someone could make their entire day and even alleviate some insecurities they might have about themselves. Plus, being a good person and knowing that you are doing something to combat all the hate we have in this world is way more important than looking like a supermodel. Personality > looks.

5. Surround Yourself with Good People

I consider myself to be so lucky because I have the best friends in the entire world. Our group chat consists primarily of us gassing each other up and supporting each other through everything. We give each other loads of compliments and we stick by each other through every bump in the road, no matter how big. Surrounding yourself with the right kind of people is crucial to getting rid of insecurities. No matter how badly you’re feeling about yourself, they will see the best in you and make you see it.

Erin Campagna

Chapel Hill '22

Erin is a first year at UNC-Chapel Hill double majoring in English and Communications with a minor in History. On campus, she is also on the club swim team and involved in Carolina for the Kids on the Public Relations committee. She is an avid reader and can't imagine living without being surrounded by books. In her limited free time, Erin enjoys going to concerts, traveling and hanging out with her friends.