This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Getting a good night’s rest is fundamental in every person’s life. Sure, some people can run on very little sleep and others may need more than the average amount, but what truly constitutes good sleep? My answer might be different than yours, but if you’re looking for ways to figure out what works for you, here are a couple of tips to help you get started!

1. Dim it Down!

Bright lights can make it way harder to fall asleep as fast as you would like. You know how everyone says to put your phone away and turn the lights off at least thirty minutes before you’d like to go to sleep? Well, they’re not crazy. Reducing the amount of light you are exposed to before bed can help guide your body into a state of relaxation. We associate light with being awake and cutting the amount of light can trick our mind into thinking it’s time for bed (which it is).

Reducing the amount of light we are exposing our eyes to in general can also reduce the amount of blue light to which we are exposed. Blue light is found in all things such as the sun, room lights, electronics, etc. Recent studies have shown that blue light exposure can cause physical ailments, such as migraines and eye strain, as well as physical and mental fatigue. These problems can keep us up at night and hinder our ability to get a good rest.

2. Make your bed!

This tip sounds really weird. We’re supposed to be finding ways to get better sleep, not how to wake up. In reality, we’re all awake until we go to bed next, so why not start by making the most out of your day? Making your bed doesn’t only help you feel productive throughout the day, it helps to actualize that it’s bedtime when we have to unmake it to crawl under the covers.

3. Make a routine!

I. Love. Routines. Routines are such wonderful things to have even if you’re the most chaotic person in the world. They can be tricky to follow at first, but once you get the hang of a routine, it will benefit you. Creating a bedtime routine allows your body to get into the habit of processing that it’s going to bed. It’s kind of like Pavlov’s Theory in terms of setting markers that your subconscious will recognize and react accordingly when you’re getting ready to go to bed.

4. Get Comfortable!

Comfort plays a large part in getting better sleep. Our bodies relax and allow us to rest when we’re the most comfortable. Like everything else about this list, comfort is subjective. The most important thing to think about and adjust for the best sleep is our environment.

Consider the room itself. Is it too hot? Too cold? Too bright? Too dark? Cluttered? Quiet? So many things to think about! But they’re all important things to take into account when creating an adequate space for sleeping.

On a smaller, more centralized consideration, the bed you are sleeping on plays a huge part in how you sleep. Goldilocks wasn’t a spoiled, opinionated trespasser; she was a trespasser that knew what she liked and wouldn’t have anything less! Be like Goldilocks; is the bed too soft, too hard, or just right? Invest in a mattress topper, especially if you are living in a dorm with university-issued mattresses. Also, think about your pillows. They need to support your head but also need to keep your neck aligned with your spine. Firm pillows with a moderate amount of stuffing are best, in my opinion. Blankets are also very subjective so pick what you like best—live your truth and choose the type of bedcover that is best suited to your needs.

5. Don’t Exercise Before Bed – Stretch Instead!

People often associate exercising with being tired or worn out, and while this is true, it only applies if the exercising is done hours before going to bed. In addition to this, not everyone enjoys the active part of exercising. The less active, gentler friend of exercising is stretching. Stretching before bed is great for getting a better night’s sleep because it helps to release the tension in our muscles and lets our bodies sink into the bed easier.

These five tips are just a few ways to get you thinking about what might help you fall asleep faster and give you the best sleep that you and your body deserve. If all else fails, you can always try out sleep aids like melatonin. Something like ZzzQuil may seem like a great sleep aid, and it can be, but it is also highly addictive. There’s no medication out there that can substitute for a good night’s rest—that’s something that must come naturally, so you should try to figure out what might work for you before resorting to sleep aids.

What tips do you use to get a good night’s rest?

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.