This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This year’s Ackland Film Forum focuses on the theme of women directors in cinema.  The series includes seven films, all directed by women from the 1990s through the 2000s, all the way up to 2017 with the critically-acclaimed Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig).  Historically, women have been largely absent as directors and as other important positions in Hollywood.  Thus, this series aims to highlight a few notable films that were largely the products of women whose decisions on camera movement, mise-en-scene and other technical aspects shaped the final product that both critics and the general public have come to love.  You don’t have to be a film major to appreciate this series.  Its target audience encompasses everyone, so if you’re looking for something fun to do, try checking out these films!

The full list of films in this year’s series includes:

Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991) on Sept. 25

Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson, 2017) on Oct. 9

The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 2000) on Oct. 23

Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Ana Lily Amirpour, 2015) on Oct. 30

Pariah (Dee Rees, 2011) on Nov. 13

Love & Basketball (Gina Prince-Bythwood, 2000) on Nov. 27

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig, 2017) on Dec. 4

Come to a couple, or all, of these wonderful screenings.  The group experience of watching a film is simply amazing, so bring your friends and anyone who might enjoy this series.

For UNC students, admission is free with a valid one card.  All films will be screened at the Varsity Theater located on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, NC.  Check out more information here.  You can also find information on the Ackland Film Forum Facebook page.

Casey Crisp

Chapel Hill '19

Casey is a current Senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  She is double majoring in English and History and minoring in Global Film studies.  Casey enjoys reading fantasy fiction, listening to music, and writing her own creative fiction.