The 10 People You’ll Meet in Your First-Year Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Moving into college for the first time can be quite the challenge. You’re saying goodbye to your parents until Thanksgiving, you’re sharing a space the size of a closet with another human being (and all of their belongings), and you’re surrounded by a bunch of new people that are going through the same thing you are. So don’t get too anxious, everyone else is nervous too.

But ultimately, during move-in, you’ll spot a few new characters around your building that will only add to your college experience.

Here is my ~unofficial~ list of the people you might encounter.

1. The Ones Who Are Already #STRESSED

Okay, these are your Pre-Nursing/Pre-Business types that need to get their GPAs solid and their prerequisites FLAWLESS in order to apply to their programs. They’re taking things like CHEM 101 and ECON 101 for the credit and they’re already spending all of their time studying for midterms. Catch these people in the study rooms, or taking late-night trips to the UL on any given day of the week.

2. The Party People

These people are great for a Thursday or a Friday night. They have the lights going in the suite, music pumping and outfits ON POINT and they always seem to catch the P2P right on time. They’ll be the ones who know which Frats are doing bands or lists, and they will always have the wildest stories. The only downside of The Party People is that sometimes they like to party all. week. long. But just remember that we’re only young once, and we gotta live while we’re young!

3.The Hall Monitors

These are typically the Future-RAs of the group. They can be the first to give a warning about being too loud, or always remind you of the rules about having too many people in one dorm room at a time (because it is surprising just how many people can fit into a 6×6 ft. room!)

4. The Athletes/Gym Rats

Living on South Campus means you have easy access to Rams Gym and the Student Rec Center. And there are always the people that take this very seriously. They’re the ones who ask everyone to join their pick-up basketball team, they’re at yoga every week, or they’re constantly carb-loading in the dining hall. But these people are honestly pretty helpful when you need tips for working out!

5. The People That Aren’t Bothered About Anything

Super chill, usually in an ENO somewhere, very calm during the fire drills and during finals. These can be the people that pass tests without studying, but they could also be the ones that just don’t study because they don’t care. Just remember that you can’t compare your college experience to others. Go with your ~own~ flow.

6. The Ones Who Miss Their Moms

Okay, so this is basically all of us. Just because you’re on your own doesn’t mean you have to give up asking for help. And this goes for all your family: calling your dad to know how to loft your bed, calling your mom to know how to get the stains out of your favorite shirt, or any leaning on any member of your family when times are hard and you’re missing home.  

7. The Tar Heels BORN AND BRED

They know when every game is, they know the rosters of every team off the top of their heads, most likely Top 150 Fever, and they’re always featured on the big screen at games. These people are so fun to go to events with because they always have the BEST time and they know all the chants and cheers! Hark the sound #ammirite?!

8. The Social Butterflies

They’ll be the first ones over after move-in to talk about room decor and introduce themselves. These are usually the kindest of souls and will always be a smiling face on campus. They can be kind of like the Party People, too in that they will most likely know what’s going on. They make the transition a little more comfortable for everyone!

9. The Ones Who Are Always Somewhere Else

Whether that’s a girlfriend/boyfriend’s place, a friend’s dorm, or one of the million campus activities or clubs, there’s always that one person that has a schedule so packed they’re never home. They’re kind of elusive to you, and you might question whether they actually live in your building. Call them your “Campus Unicorn” if you will!

10. Your Best Friends

This isn’t true for everyone, but if you get really lucky, you’ll get to live with the ones that you’ll consider friends for life. Whether you live in the same suite with your favorite people, become friends with the suite beside you, or get the whole floor involved with plans, you’ll find those ~priceless gems~ that stay with you forever.

Your first year of college is one you’ll always remember, and at Carolina, it will be the most exciting year of your life! Get ready for exciting events, exciting games, and maybe if you’re lucky like me, you’ll get to be there for some wins over Duke and a National Championship!

RAH RAH CAROLINA AND WELCOME HOME TAR HEELS!!

Who did you meet in your dorm?

Miranda Veal

Chapel Hill '20

Miranda is a junior at UNC Chapel Hill. She is currently pursuing a degree in Advertising as well as Social and Economic Justice. She is the recruitment and retention sub-chair for the UNC Dance Marathon. She is passionate about equality, true-crime and exotic food. When she isn't overcommitting herself, Miranda enjoys cooking, binge watching, petting cats and drinking coffee.