jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Disney’s False Expectation on Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Once upon a time… the magical words that take us into the land of the mystical, full of adventures; Princes and Princesses; usually ending with a Happy Ever After. But do Disney stories provide a false expectation on life whilst growing up? 

Most children are exposed to the magical world of Walt Disney. These wonderful films captivated us, with the belief that we will find our soulmate wandering the forest, who will save us from some peril, and fall in love at first sight with true love’s kiss. It sounds so enchanting, but growing up and re-watching all the classics I can’t help but feel mis-led by these films.

The old Disney Classics follow one basic story structure (although not in the same order each time.) It usual goes as follows:  The Princess is living a normal life, they meet their Hero/Prince, the Villain causes trouble, the Princess needs saving, the Hero/Prince goes out to save the Princess, the Villain is defeated and the Princess and Hero/Prince fall in love, living Happily Ever After. 

This for me was a magical way to fall in love, and someday hoped my Prince would come to save me. Now reality hits me and I remember that firstly I fall in the minority of the population being gay in a society that is still coming to terms with Homosexuals, and in everyday life I don’t normally find myself in a situation where I need rescuing.  Alongside this, I also find that love at first sight does not exist.

Another problem with the expectations that Disney stories provide are the Happily Ever Afters. What exactly are they? None of the Disney films have ever really explained this. In real life couples argue and they encounter differences of opinions. Sometimes medical emergencies happen such as miscarriages, illnesses etc. Are you telling me that none of these characters had any problems whatsoever? What about when there parents pass away? That isn’t exactly happy. 

It is a welcome break with the later Disney Classics that we are being shown true representations of real life, like strong independent women who don’t need a man to save them like Merida from Brave or Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-It Ralph. One memorable moment comes from Frozen, when Queen Elsa explains to Anna that she cannot marry someone she has just met. Maybe Elsa needs to go back and let all the other Princesses know this.

So do Disney stories provide a false expectation on life whilst growing up? Here’s what the HerCampus CCCU team had to say:

Shelby Fuller: YES completely – that’s why it’s a fairytale. The newer Disney films are much more realistic and show females as equals, not just helpless victims, but they’re still false expectations. Saying that though, I think kids need some false expectations while growing up – if we told them the truth they’d all be Peter Pans and not bother with growing up at all (wish I could) or go the flip side and grow up way too fast! We need to protect and preserve their innocence.

Melissa Holden: If Disney provided children with a real insight to relationships, no child would ever want to marry or fall in love. Some children need a fairytale to look forward to.

Sophie Tumber: My hair never grew like any of theirs!

Ashleigh Watkins: I agree with Shelby and Melissa on this. However I also think they taught children strong life lessons and to be yourself. True Sophie, they have a false expectation of hair!

What do you think about the realities Disney films present? Do they provide a false expectation on life? Let us know what you think by tweeting us @HerCampusCCCU or commenting on our Facebook page. Be sure to also check out Ashleigh’s article about Frozen hitting Broadway, which I can safely say, will be amazing!

Hi Guys, I'm Mason. I'm currently studying Drama at CCCU. I'm a huge Film and TV Geek, Disney Fan and Part-time Gamer.... I say Gamer, I actually meaning running around with no clue on how I actually play the game! Make sure you follow me on Twitter @masoncooper7 and send me a tweet if you have any suggestions or opinions you want to express!