mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

YOUR Vote Matters: Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In reaction to our current state of government in America young people everywhere have been bombarded by pro-voting propaganda. It is the current generations of voters who matter the most right now as they represent 50% of the nations eligible voters. On top of that Millennials (1979-1995) and Generation Z (1996-2010) are the most diverse generations. With that being said, a majority of said generations are more inclined to support liberal values, which can lead to a huge demographic change within our current elected officials. The votes of young people matter and are needed more than ever, here’s why.

1. Young voters (18-24) typically do not vote

In every generational study young voters have always voted at less consistent rates than any other age bracket. This is alarming as people who fall in the “young voter” age range have always pushed for some sort of reform. Too often those aged between 18-24 are spending too much time fighting the power via rallying and protesting instead of voting. While those acts are equally important they do not allow immediate numerical results aimed toward change. Failing to vote allows older mindsets control who is elected thus valuing issues catered toward that age range.

2. Diversity  is KEY to representation

Almost half of Generation Z’s population belongs to a minority group. Yes, a minority group, you know the ones who need the most political representation. Generation Z is the youngest generation with the ability to vote. Their demographic alone can vote to fight against injustices in a way it has never been done before. Over the years America’s population has taken on a huge increase in racial and ethnic populations producing more diversity than ever. Diverse perspectives offer objective support and understanding to a variety of issues in the political spectrum. The votes of Generation Z alone can allow marginalized voices to be heard and heard loudly.

3. The Purge

Yes, like the movie, but scarier. The state of Georgia has recently engaged in a “use it or lose it” methodization of valuing voters. Half a million of Georgia citizens have been removed from the registered voter’s list as a consequence for not voting in previous elections. This aggressive approach is one that many other states can fall into in order to skew the election results. It is our responsibility now to engage in consistent voting habits in order to secure our say in elections onward.

4.  EVERY  vote COUNTS

A majority of people who chose not to vote both young and old have come to the conclusion that their vote doesn’t matter. They believe their vote ballot box checked will lead to absolutely nothing. Right? WRONG. There have been plenty of elections both presidential and midterm that have come down to the difference of one or two votes. Refusing to vote is synonymous to refusing to have an opinion at the results. Without attempting to make a change there will be no change.

Regardless of your political views, YOUR vote matters. You deserve to be heard. Make a change this election season. Go out and vote and represent an age bracket that has consistently missed the mark. Register to vote here.

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!