freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Shouldn’t Go Through Your Partner’s Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

You’re chilling with bae, they get up and go to the bathroom, while they’re gone they get a text, its from a name you don’t recognize, what do you do? Be honest. If you ever do it’s not the end of the world. Curiosity is completely normal. The problems start arising when you feel the need to look through it, and when you actually follow through with that idea. There’s a million reasons not to look through your partner’s phone, but for the sake of time I’ve listed the Top 5 Reasons below.

1. You Don’t Find Anything

So you wait and you wait and find the perfect time to snoop while bae is in the bathroom, showering, or otherwise occupied and find absolutely nothing. Oh well this is awkward…you spent all this time worrying and wondering what might be in there and come up with nothing at all. So now you have to carry around the guilt of knowing you snooped.

2. You Do Find Something

So again you waited for the perfect time to snoop,but this time you do find something! Uh oh. Now you have questions. So how do you go about getting the truth out of them. Do you confront them head on with the evidence in hand or wait it out and look for more signs that something is up? Again, you’re carrying around the guilt of knowing you snooped through their phone,but this time you get hurt too.

3. It’s Not What it Looks Like

Well you got the opportunity to snoop, but showering can only take so long so you look through their phone quickly and ah ha you have proof they’re a cheater, liar, scumbag…or do you? Why is Sydney telling bae she loves them? So you confront them and they explain that Sydney is their cousin in Maryland and they have pictures from family reunions to prove it. Now you’re sitting there dumbfounded and bae knows you don’t trust them. Sometimes there’s a perfectly rational explanation for things and jumping to conclusions will only hurt you in the end.

4. It’s a Want Not a Need

There’s nothing that leads you to rationally think bae is hiding something. Their friends and family know and adore you. You spend quality time together. They haven’t been acting out of character. There’s just a want to see exactly what messages, pictures, and videos are on their phone. Haven’t you heard curiosity killed the cat? Well sista I urge you not to go snooping for things. If you don’t smell anything foul play then don’t go looking for a cheater.

5. You Don’t Trust Them

If you absolutely have to go through their phone be prepared for your relationship to end. Why? Because this means you don’t trust them. Its really simple as that.

So I’m coming to you as a woman…don’t go through your partner’s phone unless it’s a last resort. If you want to know something then ask! Don’t go snooping because you might find nothing, find something, misunderstand something, or lose bae’s trust. These are all things to consider before you go modern day Nancy Drew.

Prior to the advancement of technology, many couples relied on trust and strong communication.  If trust and/or communication is ever tested in a relationship please take the time to take to partner or seek counseling to better the relationship. Snooping through text messages, DMs, pictures, etc.  is that itch of curiosity brought on by the fear of being alone or played. Don’t be that person! Communcation is key and if you ever have a doubt of trust, TALK TO YOUR PARTNER!

Dual-sport athlete Tenicia Winston is a Senior Writer for Her Campus CAU. She likes to stay on the move, whether on the field/court or off. The native Oregonian is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is a member of the Isabella T. Jenkin’s Honor’s Program where she serves as an event planner as well as a staff writer for their newsletter. . During her freshman and sophomore summers of college she directed an inner-city youth sports camp for the non-profit Portland Parks and Recreation. Her future endeavors include becoming a brand ambassador for a sportswear company such as Nike as well as opening a chain of women’s fitness centers. In her leisure time she enjoys hiking, working out, and baking.
I'm Alexis White, one of the founders of Her Campus CAU! Just a (not so) regular smegular entertainment professional. I have an eye for great movies, an ear for talent, and a Mac to make silly award-winning scripts! Therefore, I am a triple threat.