Wellness > Mental Health

Why Taking a Self Care Break in College is Necessary + 3 Helpful Tips to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

While in college, it can become very hectic juggling school, work, relationships ( platonic & romantic) and social life at the same damn time. I can tell you personally, that I cannot go a full semester without talking a day or two or even a week to myself to process my thoughts and my purpose. Mental Health is a person’s condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being and in college, there is always a need for a self-evaluated checkup.

Two weeks ago I took a self-care break for one week. During the week, I used the time to myself by actively doing activities that gave me peace and made me happy that I do not get to do that often in the hustle and bustle of school. I read chapters of Becoming by Michelle Obama, made personal playlists for my moods, watched YouTube, and simply processed my thoughts. This one week was one of the best weeks I have had this semester and I want other students to consider taking a self-care break when they feel like they are just going through the motions.

Here are some of the tips I learned after taking a Self Care Break for a Week:

1. PUT THE PHONE DOWN–  I know that it seems like torture, but seriously put it down. Your phone is going to become a distraction from the time you could be using to think about things you personally care about.

During my break, I looked up my screen time on my phone for the week before and actively tried to reduce that amount during my mental health week. I felt free from constant amounts of thoughts and ideas that were circling around on social media and I wasn’t tied to answering messages or being attached to my device.

2. TREAT YOURSELF–  During your self-care break do something that you LOVE and only do on occasion. Make sure that after a week of processing your inner thoughts more and focusing on yourself you end on a strong note. Live your best life for one day during your self-care week and make the best of it. You can read your favorite book, go to your favorite restaurant, go to a new area in town, go shopping, go exercise, or do absolutely nothing if you want to.  

I personally Door Dashed my favorite meal on the app and watched movies all night long in my room, all by myself. This week is about YOU!  *cue Beyonce Me, Myself & I*.  So treat yourself.

3. BE ALONE – Let your advisors or friends know beforehand that during those couple of days to a week that you want to be alone. And this can be one of the hardest tasks to do, but it helped me tremendously. Be firm in your decision and take a genuine break. During this week learn how to be alone with yourself to evaluate your personal mental health for an overall better you once your week is done.

During my self-care break, I let all of my friends know that during the week I was not attending any outside events, going out, or hosting friends in my room. During the week, I stayed to myself and it helped me process my thoughts, that I usually don’t have the time to think about because I am always on the go so much. Without the constant influence of others, I thought about ideas for my Youtube Channel,  wrote more, read more, and had so much more time to process my emotions and feelings during that week.

Lastly, remember that taking a self-care week is not an indicator that you are weak or cannot keep up with the realities of college, but only that you recognize that you could be a better you if you took time to yourself. And after taking this break and using the tips I suggested, I hope you feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the rest of the semester.

hello, lovelies, My name Reginae. I am a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University. My major is Mass Media Arts with a concentration in Public Relations. I love writing about pop culture, fashion, makeup, YouTube and queen Beyonce. Follow me @reginaeb_ on Instagram. -_