This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Since the beginning of time, there has been community. Man was quite literally made for partnership, a perfect example being Adam and Eve. Ancient civilizations thrived with millions of people who all had their own strengths that then contributed to the success of the nation as a whole. But as society has progressed and transformed, it’s evident we’ve neglected the importance of building our own communities.

We often hear, “it takes a village,” regarding raising a child, but it also applies to our intrapersonal intelligence and development. As individuals, we are each made with different talents, perspectives, and experiences, and that’s for good reason. We are meant to learn from each other, gain different understandings, and apply them to our own situations. With collaboration, we all succeed. But unfortunately, we seem to hold a sense of shame when seeking help from others. Whether we acknowledge it or not, there’s a narrative that you must do it alone in order to make it to the top, when that is simply not the case. We are unknowingly normalizing hyper-independency, which in turn can damage our relationship with ourselves and others. Not saying that we all aren’t fully capable of making it on our own, but it can be draining emotionally, physically, and mentally. Why take the heaviest load by yourself when you have others that can help you? To break this narrative down, it’s vital to allow time and space for vulnerability and sensitivity when dealing with ourselves. We are humans and as much as we try, we just cannot do this thing called life alone. 

I was recently speaking with a friend about this matter, and they stated, “I like to think of the space I hold for my friends and family as a garden. In conversation, we go there to plant flowers and trees of love and community.” How beautiful to speak of the love you have for the people in your life as a blossoming garden? Since our conversation, that has stuck with me and made me analyze the space I have for the dearest people in my life. Although established, truthfully, my garden space is sparse and isn’t tended to as often as it should be. But recognizing this, I am now on a mission to plant more seeds of love and community in my garden. 

Although we may not inhabit many communities, I feel as though we all have the desire to seek one of our own. Some are born into their lifelong communities, whereas others may have to search for and build theirs. Either way, it’s valid. I believe we should all make a goal to better our garden space. A goal to share more meaningful conversations. A goal to contribute positivity to our loved ones’ lives. A goal to foster healthy and beneficial relationships that are connected on a deeper level. An overall goal to nourish the soul. 

Hello, hello, hello! My name is Madison Nealy, and I am a sophomore Mass Media Arts major at Clark Atlanta University! I have a concentration in Radio, TV & Film and a minor in Vocal Studies! You may be thinking... "Where does writing fit into that?" Well, let me tell you! I've been passionate about writing and storytelling since a child and I wanted to pursue it while in college. I'm a lover of all things creative and can't wait to continue to share my knowledge with you all!