A Shift In Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Life definitely has its way of throwing different obstacles in our path. Between educational and personal responsibilities, it can become overwhelming as our tasks begin to seem as if they are never ending. As a result of this never ending to-do list, our tasks begin to feel like chores. Eventually, that to-do list gets longer and the checks of accomplishments become little to non- existent. It is not until we shift our perspectives towards a more positive notion on our daily responsibilities, that they become viewed as opportunities instead of chores.

Perspective. A word that has a major impact on life. Perspective is a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something. The two types of perspectives are either negative or positive. A negative perspective is only viewing situations in its worst state of being. On the contrary, a positive perspective views situations in its best state of being even if a negative aspect is present. Typically, most people, have a negative perspective on many events that occur in their life, such as not receiving something desired, the end of a relationship or friendship, or feeling as if there are so many tasks to do and so little time to get everything done. However, as bad or overwhelming as everything might seem, if the effort is put forth in searching for just an ounce of positivity, the negativity begins to not have as much power as it did before. 

Therefore, instead of being upset about not receiving something that was strongly desired, be grateful and believe that it was not meant to be received. If a relationship or friendship comes to an unfortunate end, understand that if they were meant to have value in your life, then they would have stayed; otherwise, they had to go. Finally, if it seems as if there are too many tasks to complete, think of those “tasks” as opportunities that you GET to do instead of things that you HAVE to do. 

Shifting from a negative to a positive perspective is life changing. Positivity is the key to internal and external happiness. Most importantly, a shift in perspective allows an acceptance of appreciation and gratitude towards the good, the “bad”, and the ugly of life.

Giana Levy is a freshmen Journalism major at Clark Atlanta University and serves as an editorial writer for HerCampus CAU. She plans to use her work as a writer to inform the public on current events and give new perspectives on various topics.