Nicolby Brianna Clay, Hairstylist & Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

At Clark Atlanta University, the school’s motto of “Culture for Service” is definitely taken very seriously among students campus-wide. Giving back to the surrounding communities allows students to be conscious of the issues and needs of the people around them, giving them the opportunity to effectively make a change in the lives of others. Having the ability to combine one’s passion with service makes life all the more meaningful. 

Meet Nicolby Brianna Clay, an ambitous, business-minded and charismatic young lady with a passion for beauty, empowering others and community service. Take a moment to get to know a little about Nicolby and be inspired by her words and all of her amazing work!

Q: What’s your major? A: “I am a junior at Clark Atlanta University, studying Business Administration, dual concentrating in Marketing and Entrepreneurship.”

Q: Where are you from? A: “I’m from the Windy City of Chicago, IL.”

Q: What is your favorite food? A: “Being that I am from Chicago, my favorite food is deep dish pizza.”

Q: What is your favorite color? A: “Purple has always been my favorite color, symbolizing royalty and femininity.”

Q: Where is your favorite hangout spot: A: “Not only am I a student, but I’m also a professional hairstylist. Traveling state to state, I love to spend time perfecting my craft, building connections, and mingling with my coworkers. So I must say that the salon is one of my favorite hangout spots.”

Q: What inspires you? A: “My inspiration come primarily from all of the young ladies that I have touched through my journey, aspiring to be where I am today. I’m also inspired by the growth of the beauty industry in corporate America. Our profession is on the rise, and it excites me to get further into my career.”

Q: Why did you choose CAU? A: “I chose CAU seeking a college with a great business school, great school spirit, and I loved the idea of HBCU unity among students. I must say that I got exactly what I was looking for. Clark Atlanta University has made an enormous impact on my life promoting character and entrepreneurial development, leadership, and an amazing college experience.”

Q: What are you involved in on campus? A: “I have been a part of multiple organizations and have participated in different activities on campus. CAU Cheerleading, CAU HPeers, The Illinois Club, Admissions Ambassadors and Emergence 2 Serve Image Society are organizations that I have been a part of. I work hand in hand with Miss Clark Atlanta University and her Royal Court, keeping their hair gorgeous for all of their business to be handled. You can also find me behind the scenes at different pageants, award shows and major fashion shows on campus and throughout the Atlanta community. I am also the co-owner of an up-and-coming nonprofit organization called The Mobile Beauty Project, motivationg beautiful people everywhere.”

Q: What’s your favorite quote? A: “Stay confindent yet humble, accepting yet giving, and realistic yet faithful.”

Q: What piece of advice do you have for our readers? A: “Keep God first in all that you do. Also understand that nothing is unachievable, but faith without work won’t get you there.”

Be sure to follow Nicolby on Instagram @HAIRBYNICOLBYBRI and on Twitter @NICOLBYBRIANA!

Shatay Speights is a Clark Atlanta University senior, majoring in Fashion Merchandising from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She has a passion for fashion, journalism, and inspiring young women around her, all of which she plans to tie into her budding fashion/ journalism career. Shatay is currently the Managing Editor for Her Campus CAU and Fashion Editor for her school newspaper (The CAU Panther). She enjoys reading, writing, shopping, being around friends and family, volunteering, and staying up on the latest news in fashion and entertainment. Follow Shatay on IG and Twitter at @fashionsinatra !