kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Introverted-Extrovert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The Introverted-Extrovert

Before we dive into the general topic, it is imperative to have an understanding of what both introvert or extroverts are. An extrovert is defined as “an outgoing, overtly expressive person”, while an introvert is defined as “ a shy, reticent individual”. Now I’m sure after reading the title of this article, you’re wondering exactly how you can be both extremely outgoing and yet completely shy at the exact same time.

As a student at Clark Atlanta University (or HBCUs in general), you are always going to be surrounded by a major social setting, which is something I didn’t really grasp until I came to campus for the first time. As a freshman in college, I was extremely shy, barely made any friends outside of my roommates, who I felt were only my friends because they were my roommates. Throughout the year I realized that being an introvert in college is not the best route, even though I didn’t really have control over not being comfortable in most social settings like my peers were. However, over the summer I made the decision that by my sophomore year I would be more integrated into my university and play a huge role in bettering my experience for myself.

As a sophomore, I decided to take my chance in joining an organization that I was fond of, HerCampus. Yes, HerCampus was the first organization that I joined, and even after joining it I felt so shy during most of the meetings at first. However, through joining this organization I felt myself getting better and better each time I met with my fellow organization members. It was the beginning of being everything I currently I am.     

I remember coming across a conversation thread that peeked my interest, not only because it included Beyoncé (my favorite artist) but also because it had her image with the words “introverted-extroverts” on the side of it. I began reading how a lot of people describe Beyoncé as an extrovert because she is always in the public eye, she is always selling out shows and greeting people like it’s nothing. So why was the word introvert next to her name? As I continued reading the thread, it showed quotes from Jay-Z, Kelly Rowland and a few other artist declaring that Beyoncé is actually an “introvert who is forced into extroverted habits because of the business she’s in.” When I originally saw these words I realized that Beyoncé and I both have something in common. While researching this topic to discover what other people face this problem, I saw a list that described the type of situations introverted-extroverts go through, so here are a few that personally applied to me:

1.  Just because I like being around people doesn’t mean I’m always in the mood to talk (this applies to me especially at parties when my introvert side kicks in and I’m ready to go home).
  2.  Even if I seem like I’m putting myself out there, just know that in my head I’m thinking about not speaking at all.
  3. People think I lead them on. Sometimes I’m a flirt; sometimes I don’t want to speak to you whatsoever, sorry. 
  4. I’m happier in quieter areas that still have people in them so that I’m not completely alone. 
  5. I love the social setting I’m in, yet want nothing more than to be alone.

Now, I’m currently a junior and my life and lifestyle have almost completely changed since I started my freshman year. I am currently on the HerCampus e-board, I’m a FemDeLaCreme mentor, I’m a social media ambassador for two different organizations and I’m now the 2017-2018 Miss Black for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. – Alpha Phi Chapter.

I am constantly in public settings, speaking to multiple people that I do and don’t know but now I realize that even though I’m a major introvert, I’m now in a place in my life where being an extrovert isn’t a practical option. While I completely understand that I’m an introvert, it was time to become an expert in personal settings. However, to all my introverted-extroverts, my introverts, or my extroverts, you can do whatever you set your mind on, do not place yourself in a box. 

Hello, my name is Tayla Minette Camper and I'm writer and membership advisor for HerCampus at CAU. I am currently a senior at the prestigious Clark Atlanta University.