This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Many people think going into college as one of the best times of your life. Don’t get me wrong, it is one of the best times of your life but it takes a toll on a person’s mental health. Being a freshman at Clark Atlanta University, it has been so much fun having two other schools across the street but the social life and academic life can be a lot to handle especially if your high school life was a breeze. I figured out that it was easier if I paired a day of the week with a self-care activity. This worked for my very busy schedule and can be adjusted due to your work/school/life schedule. 

Monday

On Mondays, I wake up early to ensure that I have gone down to the cafe to have breakfast. It can get really hectic during my day between going to classes, meetings, and social outings. 

Tuesday

On Tuesdays go to the gym. Going to the gym for me helps me balance the need to feel healthy and to actually be healthy. I try to eat lots of fruits and greens and of course drink water but it turns out that it is easier to grab a small bag of Doritos and skedaddle, but this regimen helps me try to break that.  

Wednesday

On Wednesdays, I meditate at least three times a day. Of course, if you are not religious or just do not have the time you can replace this by saying words of encouragement to yourself three times a day. Meditating helps me feel recentered when things get a little out of control. 

Thursday

On Thursdays, I treat myself and buy myself a coffee. Throughout my week sometimes I find myself waking up a little off schedule or just not having enough time to be able to wait in the really long Dunkin Donuts line so making sure that at least some time throughout the week I get my coffee fix is really nice. 

Friday

Fridays are my favorite because the cafe is serving Friday fish and grits. I also apply a face mask later that night. Some people take a Friday night and go out but I prefer to stay inside, reminisce on old tv shows, and take care of my skin. 

Saturday 

On Saturdays I sleep in (unless I have somewhere to be) and go have brunch. Again, making sure your feeding yourself is a vital piece of self-care. You may think that it is pretty easy to feed yourself but sometimes if you get busy enough you choose your work before food. 

Sunday 

On Sundays, I plan out my upcoming week. It makes me feel sane and gives me a heads up for what I have going on that week so that I’m not feeling overwhelmed and jumbled when Monday hits. 

Of course, self-care is different for everyone but taking steps to ensure that you are caring for your well being is better than nothing. It doesn’t matter if it’s a face mask or reminding yourself to take your birth control. What matters is that at the end of it all your sane, happy, and still a hardworking person loving yourself. 

Chassee'Palmer is a Senior Mass Media arts with a concentration in Journalism attending Clark Atlanta University.She was born and raised in Charleston,South Carolina so she has a strong love for seafood and beaches. She loves skin care products and whenever she gets bored she tends to online shop (ALOT). You can follow her on instagram @chas.see to view her various shopping hauls.