bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How CAU’s Yoga And Meditation Workshop Showcased The Importance Of Finding Your Inner Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

When I was younger, “meditation” was my go-to excuse for sleeping in class. However, now it seems that I am continuously going out of my way to take classes on meditation. Isn’t it funny how the universe works? This past week, CAU’s very own Sophomore Class Council Secretary hosted a meditation and yoga workshop to help students find their inner peace.

The workshop began with the yoga portion, which fellow student Keara Jones, got to lead. Students were able to challenge their bodies and learn different positions. Additionally, Jones was able to explain how the distinct positions can be used to release tension within the body. Next, was the meditation portion. A company by the name of Protect Yo Energy came out and discussed the importance of eliminating distractions when trying to meditate. The goal is to get focused and stay focused. The company even handed out crystals to each participant to encourage natural healing processes. Afterward, everyone was given a goody bag that contained sage, contact information, and a poster as a constant reminder to “protect yo energy.”

Based on my experience with yoga, I highly encourage everyone to branch out and find a nearby workshop, just to get the experience in! Additionally, there are a bunch of health benefits to yoga and meditation, so it can only serve as beneficial to one’s mind, body, and soul. Here are a few below:

1.      Stress Relief

According to a study from the “Psychosomatic Medicine,” the combination of yoga and meditation will decrease the stress responses in your body. When you are overwhelmed, stressors in our body become inflammatory. By eliminating the inflammation, you will be in less stressful conditions. This means your reaction to any stressful situation will become cool, calm, and collected. Furthermore, the breathing techniques prove as a tool whenever you find yourself losing your peace.

2.      Heart Health

Of course, less stress is always better for your heart. The two practically go hand-and-hand. Various researchers have stated that yoga and meditation will destroy the plaque within your arteries. Reducing plaque in your arteries establishes better blood flow. Moreover, the breathing techniques also improve your heart health. The techniques provide a basis to reduce your heart rate, which improves blood circulation as well.

3.     Emotional Stability

Do you ever feel your emotions changing like clockwork? Meditation and yoga can help with this too! Studies have shown that your cognitive behavior can improve and help with anxiety or depression. It is also important to note that participating in group sessions can even make you happier than when your alone. This is a great opportunity to gather a group of friends and combat your emotional obstacles together!

Just like anything, these benefits will appear with time and consistency. You can’t expect to have a drastic boost in your moods after one session of yoga and meditation. In fact, you may not even get these results after the first five sessions, however, taking the time to continue the sessions will benefit you in the long run. We encourage you to start now with just ten minutes of meditation! Do your body, mind, and soul a favor by starting your journey to inner peace and everlasting happiness!

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!