This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Essence holds a Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon every year and this years honorees are gracing the cover of Essence’s Film Noir issue. The amazing black women being honored include: Regina Hall, Jenifer Lewis, KiKi Layne, and Amandla Stenberg. These women are talented, beautiful, and great examples of inspiring, Black women.  

REGINA HALL: 

Regina Hall has been in the film industry for 20 years now and is still booking roles like it’s nobody’s business. Hall graduated from New York University with her Masters degree in Journalism, but God had another plan for her career. You may know her as “Candy” from The Best Man (her film debut) and The Best Man Holiday, or as her hilarious character “Brenda” from the Scary Movie franchise. Regina Hall has been a part of some of the best ensembles. Along with the two I’ve just mentioned, she’s starred in Girls Trip (my favorite), Think Like A Man 1 & 2, Barbershop The Next Cut, Death At A Funeral, With This Ring, and more. Looking back at Hall’s career and what she has to come, it is clear that she is beyond talented and versatile. Some of her most recent roles include, Support The Girls, The Hate U Give, the Showtime series Black Monday, and coming soon, Little. Regina Hall also made history last year by being the FIRST Black Woman, in it’s 83 years of voting, to win the award for Best Actress at the New York Film Critics Circle, for her outstanding performance in Support The Girls. She is hard at work and there is no stopping her grind.

JENIFER LEWIS:

Jenifer Lewis started off on Broadway and ended up making her way to the big screen. Now I could list everyone’s mother she’s played in either a movie or tv show, but that would be way too long, her memoir isn’t titled The Mother of Black Hollywood for no reason. Some of Lewis’ movies include What’s Love Got To Do With It, Sister Act, Think Like A Man 1&2, The Temptations, Meet The Browns, and many more. Jenifer Lewis also was on the classic television show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and, most recently, stars in the hit television show Black-ish. Black-ish is currently on it’s fifth season on ABC and is a great sitcom for the whole family. Lewis celebrated her 62nd birthday a few days ago and has shown us that 62 never looked better! #BlackDontCrack 

KIKI LAYNE:

KiKi Layne is new on the scene, and is already shining bright. Layne gave a stellar performance in her breakout role in the movie, If Beale Street Could Talk, which is currently still in theaters! She got a nomination for Breakthrough Actor at the Gotham Independent Film Awards and the movie has been nominated for various awards, from Golden Globes to Critics’ Choice Awards to Oscars. Also coming up this year, she will be starring in Captive State, coming to theaters March 15th. This won’t be the last you see KiKi Layne. 

AMANDLA STENBERG:

In her interview at the Essence Magazine cover shoot, Amandla states, “I look for characters and stories that conceptualize a Black experience without minimizing it or falling into harmful stereotypes. I want characters who raise us up and show the nuance of who we are and how beautiful and multifaceted and colorful we are, too,” and that she does. Stenberg’s astounding performance as “Starr” in her most recent film, The Hate U GIve, is chilling and a must-see movie. The Hate U Give showcases relevant topics such as police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement. Amandla Stenberg’s other work includes The Hunger Games, Everything Everything, Rio 2, The Darkest Minds and more. Stenberg is only 20 and has already accomplished so much, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for her.

Let’s show our appreciation for these incredibly talented women by supporting their upcoming projects. 

I'm a sophomore, Mass Media Arts major with a concentration in Radio, Tv, and Film with a minor in Theatre Arts at Clark Atlanta University, from Tampa, Florida. Writing is one of many things I enjoy, along with anything that has to do with the tv/film industry. Also I love dancing and eating food and my zodiac sign is a Scorpio :)