Crying is NOT for the Weak, it’s for the Strong!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Image: lgbticons.com

For everyone that thinks that tears are weak, you can shut it. Honestly. I’m sick and tired of hearing that crying makes you weak and will not solve problems. Blah, blah, blah. There’s power in tears. I’m here to tell all the criers to keep the waterworks coming and all the cold souls to keep their opinions to themselves.

Now, let me get into it. 

Let’s start off with the fact that crying is therapeutic. Have you ever just sat alone and let the tears roll down your face? Typically, the initial reaction to a  “bad” situation is to burst out in tears of sadness. The beauty of releasing your tears is the action of letting out your pain and cleansing your system from negativity.

Image: Healthy Black Women

Crying also lets you express the unexplainable. Sometimes, life hits us with unexpected inccidents and most times we are overwhelmed with emotions and we instantly cry. Perhaps there are no reasonable explanations to why, but you feel it. Regardless, you’re still in pain and need to find a way to flush them out.

As mentioned before, crying releases those emotions that were toxic for the body. When you don’t ever address the way you’re feeling and convince yourself you’re doing just fine, pain and sorrow pile up. Between classes, tests, jobs, clubs, family, relationships, and all of the other things that life throws at you, you’re not alone in feeling overwhelmed, unhappy, confused, angry, or any other variety of emotions.

Lastly, not all crying is to release the bad, but its also a way to express HAPPINESS! Tears of joy are a real emotion. Graduation? Tears of joy! Best friend surprising you? Tears of joy! An “A” on that test you stressed out about for days? TEARS OF FREAKING JOY! Crying isn’t a negative reaction, it’s a perfectly healthy and normal response to things that happen in our lives.

Image: YouTube

So for all of the criers out there, keep those tears coming! If you need a shoulder to cry on or a tissue, I’m here for you!

Dual-sport athlete Tenicia Winston is a Senior Writer for Her Campus CAU. She likes to stay on the move, whether on the field/court or off. The native Oregonian is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is a member of the Isabella T. Jenkin’s Honor’s Program where she serves as an event planner as well as a staff writer for their newsletter. . During her freshman and sophomore summers of college she directed an inner-city youth sports camp for the non-profit Portland Parks and Recreation. Her future endeavors include becoming a brand ambassador for a sportswear company such as Nike as well as opening a chain of women’s fitness centers. In her leisure time she enjoys hiking, working out, and baking.