Celebrating Black Excellence: 2017 Grammys Aftermath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards was one for the books and will go down in history as one of the greatest nights of music! The stars of the industry gathered together in Los Angeles to celebrate the many accomplishments of the music industry from this past year. From the golden moments to the major upsets, Grammy winners and nominees of that night have moved on to their next projects, vacationing, and have settled down to enjoy family time.

First off, Beyonce of course! Queen Bey took home 2 of 9 Grammy nomination wins that night which were: Best Urban Contemporary Album Lemonade, Best Music Video “Formation.” The Knowles family was on fire last night because her sister Solange also received a Grammy for Best R&B Performance “Cranes In The Sky.”  Since her break the Internet announcement, the Formation singer has stepped away from the spolight and is preparing to welcome two more additions to th royal Carter family.  Due to doctor’s orders Mrs. Carter  recently confirmed that she is forgoing her performance for the 2017 Coachella festival and will perform in 2018. Not to fret Beyhive, she has been replaced by Lady Gaga. For now, we will continue to watch every move Beyonce make and patiently wait for the arrival of the twins!

Black excellence thrived last month with amazing performances, award wins and red carpet looks. Drake, Kirk Franklin, Tamela Mann, and Maxwell also walked away with Grammy wins that night. But, the talk of the enitre night was Chicago native Chance The Rapper, after deservingly winning 3 Grammys! Best Rap Album Coloring Book, Best New Artist, and Best Rap Performance “No Problem” ft. Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz.

Nowadays, Chance the Rapper is living it up as he did before the Grammys…BIG TIME, yet HUMBLED! Within a week after the biggest night in music, the Chicago native has given his fans a muscial tease of a hot song or album that’s in the works, the release of his Spring/Summer tour dates, and consistenly posting adorable pictures of our little bff, his daughter Kensil. Nevertheless, do not think his major wins will have him crawling to a record label anytime soon. After the big night, the MC turned down a $10 million dollar contract with a major label company, moreover we say the chances are still his favor cause he can continue his independence and creative control.Staying true to his roots, the  No Problem rapper recently purchased hundreds of movie tickets  from a local Chicago theater for the film ‘Get Out’, so that  teenagers and adults like can watch the film without a financial burden. 

A special shout out goes to all of the amazing African American artists who not only make great music, but allow the fans the opporunity to get insight on their personal lives. Artists devote so much of their lives to their fans and it is nice to see them be honored for their astounding work.