This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Taking care of your mental health is very important. As defined by Mental Health.gov, Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. To find out ways to cope with or take control of your mental health continue scrolling below. Tip number 1: Ask for help

Speaking up when you’re overwhelmed is 100 % okay! Talk to your friends, family, School counselor, or anyone you know and are comfortable around. Most importantly find someone that will give good advice or lend a listening ear. Whenever I feel like I’m stressed or feeling down; I make sure to speak to someone right away to express my feelings and afterward I notice a drastic change.

Tip number 2: Get involved

Joining a school club or picking up a hobby is a way to keep busy by keeping your mind off of any negative thoughts or feelings you may have. You can meet new people and maybe discover a secret hidden talent. Volunteering is another great way to get involved and a pretty cool way to give back by redirecting your time and energy to something postive instead of negative. Tip number 3: Keep a journal to express your thoughts

Instead of keeping the negative or unwanted thoughts in your head try writing them down. Writing down daily goals or feelings for the day will let you keep track of your progress and keep you motivated. You can set daily goals for yourself and write down what you accomplished or what you think you need to work on in your journal. Doing this can help you process your emotions as well create a way to express your feelings in a new way.Tip number 4: Stay active

Working out can relieve stress and improve your overall health. Working out will certainly help improve your physical health however there are different approaches you can take. Taking a walk or swimming in the pool are a few ways to exercise without straining your body if working out isn’t your favorite thing to do. Yoga, for example, is a great way to workout since it’s not too hard on your body and calms your mind.

Tip number 5: Healthy eating habits

Make sure your diet consists of foods that won’t make you sluggish like sugary or highly processed foods. If you’re in college, you might think it’s hard trying to afford healthy food but it’s not. Eating yogurt, greens, and protein like chicken, fish or nuts are all excellent sources filled with nutrients. Your universities cafeteria carries all of these items if you don’t have extra cash to buy these items at your local grocery store.

Tip number 6: Take a breather if you need to Whether it be school, your job, or whatever may be causing you unnecessary stress you should allow yourself to step back and get a new perspective on things. It is okay to take time off from things or situations where you feel like you can’t handle the pressure or don’t want the unneeded stress.

Although I am not a mental health counselor or therapist these are just some tips I have found to be very useful. If there’s anyone that feels alone you are not. You can access mental health counselors and 24/7 crisis hotlines online. To find out more go to mentalhealth.gov to find useful information.

Hi! I'm Ceriah Richard. I'm a Mass Media Arts major at The Illustrious Clark Atlanta university from Cincinnati, Ohio.