5 Times it’s OK to Cheat on Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The problem with most diets is that people go into them thinking it’s all or nothing. They feel the need to stick to a strict set of rules and if they cheat even a little they’ve somehow failed. Another issue is that after they cheat it creates a spiral effect and the cheat day turns into a cheat week. So what is a collegiate woman to do? There are certainly times that it is perfectly okay to cheat on your diet as long as you have the willpower to get back into your healthy eating. Some of these cases include the following.

1. On your birthday or holiday. Your birthday is a time to celebrate you and the last thing you should be worried about is the amount of calories you’re intaking (calories don’t count on your birthday anyways). So if you want to go out to dinner or have a special meal cooked that doesn’t have a single green thing on it, then go ahead and eat it. If one piece of cake or one cupcake or one scoop of ice-cream isn’t enough to satisfy your sweet tooth go for seconds. Furthermore, you may need more carbs or greasy food depending on what birthday you’re celebrating if you get my drift. The same applies to holidays; I mean it’s not every day that you get to eat grandma’s homemade sweet potato pie.

2. When the craving is just too strong. There are plenty of times that cravings can get the best of us and most of the time we should ignore them. Such cravings include late night urges to snack which I suggest drinking a glass of water and going to bed. The thing is sometimes we have cravings that just won’t go away. If you’ve been craving that candy bar all day and have tried eating healthy alternatives then go for a fun sized version instead.

3. All of your friends are celebrating. Maybe you all are meeting back for the first time after break but all of your friends are going out. This might mean eating out, grabbing drinks or dessert. Regardless of the place you should partake. There are plenty of other days to make up for it. Plus if your friend group is anything like mine it’s almost impossible to get everyone in one place, so there won’t be too many chances for you to indulge with them anyways.

4. That wonderful time of the month. Aunt flow brings the worst present (well except the added reassurance that you’re not pregnant) and it’s the present that just keeps giving…giving us cramps, cravings, bloating, fatigue and more. While I lay in my bed contemplating what I did to deserve this level of agony, the last thing I want to do is deprive myself of the brownie that’s calling my name. PMS only lasts a few days so if you break your diet just a little bit it won’t be the end of the world. Personally I think eating a couple cookies is far better than tearing someone’s head off because of your mood swings.

5. When you’re on a date. Getting to know someone is hard enough without the added pressure of counting calories. Dates are meant to be fun.  You’ve already exercised control by not letting your crush know you and your squad Instagram stalked them since the day they asked you out and so you can let yourself off the hook a little by ordering something slightly heftier than a side salad with low fat dressing.

All in all if you typically eat well balanced, nutrient rich meals then the occasional treat is nothing to worry about. Your diet should consist primarily of the good but have room for a little bit of bad. Preferably its best to plan when you will cheat so that you can eat cleaner the preceding days. If you happen to slip up on an occasion that wasn’t planned or doesn’t seem like a “good reason” do not beat yourself up about it. From there just get right back into your healthy habits. 

Dual-sport athlete Tenicia Winston is a Senior Writer for Her Campus CAU. She likes to stay on the move, whether on the field/court or off. The native Oregonian is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is a member of the Isabella T. Jenkin’s Honor’s Program where she serves as an event planner as well as a staff writer for their newsletter. . During her freshman and sophomore summers of college she directed an inner-city youth sports camp for the non-profit Portland Parks and Recreation. Her future endeavors include becoming a brand ambassador for a sportswear company such as Nike as well as opening a chain of women’s fitness centers. In her leisure time she enjoys hiking, working out, and baking.
Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!