Career > Work

What Is It Like To Be A Woman In Motorsport? 3 Professionals Pitch In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The female presence has grown over the years in the motorsport industry. Outside the tracks, the expressive presence of women in the crowd is an example of that. Inside the paddock, engineers, organizers and even female drivers are arising. 

FIA itself has contributed to this scenario with initiatives like FIA’s Women in Motorsport Commission, F1 Academy, which is a motorsport category only for women, and FIA Girls On Track, a project that empowers young girls and promotes gender equality in the sport.

THE SEXIST REALITY

Despite all the initiatives to help females, we can still hear a lot of sexist comments, like “Formula 1 is bringing in a lot of young girls because of all these great-looking young drivers.” Christian Horner, Red Bull team principal, said that. 

“I don’t know if that is in the female nature (…)  And that is maybe too difficult and too strenuous for women.” was Helmut Marko’s, advisor to the Red Bull team, comment on women and the physical demands that racing in F1 has. 

Both of them have spoken about their comments and explained themselves, but this kind of speech reflects the sexist reality that still exists.

To understand what it feels like to be a female in motorsport and having to deal with this uncomfortable environment, Her Campus interviewed three fantastic women that are into racing and even work in the area.

CAROL POLITTA

Carol is a mechanical engineer and a huge fan of Formula One. She volunteered at the FIA Girls on Track event that happened at the Formula E race in São Paulo, Brazil.

She says that “being a woman in the motorsport world is working twice as hard. You have to think carefully before you speak and act.”

“Don’t be scared and shy” is Carol’s advice for girls that dream of working in motorsport.

She also says how she admires Claire Williams (former team principal of Williams), Susie Wolff (former driver and managing director of F1 Academy), Mariana Becker (brazilian F1 journalist) and many more inspiring women.

MONA SALOME

Mona’s comments were that she often feels “underestimated and sexualised” within the motorsport industry. She used to work at the Event & Operations team for DTM, a German tourism category. She says that “the women representation in the area she worked was very low” and believes that “series like F1 are better as there are more women.”

One advice she has for other women that want to join the motorsport world is “to keep on going and don’t give up, even if it’s hard to find a job in the industry or you might encounter some not so pleasant people.”

Susie Wolff is also one of her inspirations. “It’s so inspiring because she also started out in DTM. Since then, she established amazing initiatives to push women”, she concludes.

RACHEL LOH

The first and, until now, only female mechanical engineer at Stock Series in Brazil is Rachel Loh. Sheworked at the Ipiranga racing team; now, she is team principal for ASG motorsport, a “Copa Truck” team.

She says that it is “challenging ” being a woman in this area. “It’s a sexist, elitist and white environment.” and there are “many barriers to break down.”

Together with FIA Girls On Track and Girls like racing BR, she works hard to bring gender equality to the tracks.

Rachel was also the first Brazilian woman to be a marshal in the Singapore Grand Prix in 2022.

🚓 Related: Mulheres e Fórmula 1: Por que há falta de representação feminina competindo na categoria?

—————————————-

The article above was written by edited by Isabella Gemignani.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Libero for more!

Giovanna Garcia

Casper Libero '26

hi! i´m a journalism student who loves pop culture and sports :)