Style > Fashion

The Coquette Aesthetic: A Modern Way To Express Your Femininity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Have you heard of the Coquette Aesthetic? You might think we’re talking about your grandma’s style in the 50’s, but, surprisingly, we are not. 

But what is it? Well, this style is known for its heart shaped accessories (especially sunglasses) and romantic clothing, including pearl necklaces and lots of bows. According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word coquette means “a woman who flirts”, highlighting the purpose of the aesthetic. 

The so-called Coquette style

Choosing the colors of your outfit and the kind of shoes you’re going to wear can change from girl to girl, but there’s one thing that every coquette girl has in common: they all love Lana Del Rey

And why wouldn’t they? She sings about everything those girls like and romanticize. Almost every coquette video on TikTok –, the aesthetic is very popular on the app, with more than 7,8 billion views – has at least one Lana hashtag and sound.  

The coquettes love heart shaped sunglasses, Miss Dior perfume, bows everywhere, pearl necklaces, plaid skirts, puff sleeves dresses, lace gloves, red nails and oil lip gloss (they love the Dior Lip Glow Oil).

As of entertainment, they appreciate Lux Lisbon, from The Virgin Suicides, the book My Year of Rest and Relaxation, by Ottessa Moshfegh, “Please, I’m a star”, from the movie Pearl, is also frequently quoted and they wish their lives were directed by Sofia Coppola.

The controversy 

Although being a Coquette sounds pretty fun, many people think there are serious issues involving the aesthetic. It is pretty much based on a novel called Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, and many followers of this style like to romanticize the book – the same happens with The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, an author known for her controversial writing. 

There’s also a lack of black and plus size girls, besides many videos on TikTok promoting eating disorders as part of the movement – something extremely criticized by the majority of the coquette community – and some sort of praise to movies that promote abusive behaviors and glamourize mental illnesses, such as Black Swan and Girl, Interrupted

Style variation and inspirations

The aesthetic has many variations: Dollete, Balletcore, Femme Fatale, Old Money, Pink Pilates Princess, Messy French Girl and more. 

Last, but not least, some celebrities and characters follow this trend, like Lily Rose Depp, Lexi Howard, Alana Champion, Madison Beer, Anya Taylor-Joy, Emily Lind and Blair Waldorf.

————————–

The article above was edited by Milena Casaca.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Duda Kabzas

Casper Libero '26

A journalism student who loves sharing stories and knowing people!