Style > Fashion

The 5 most iconic moments from Milan Fashion Week 2023 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Every year, in September, one of the most awaited moments in the fashion world becomes a topic: fashion weeks with spring/summer collections. After all, September is the January when it comes to the fashion world. The shows take place first in NY, then in London, then in Milan and finally in Paris. Just like in previous years, the fashion shows were full of surprises, trends, celebrities and sophistication. It’s practically impossible to choose a favorite among this year’s four fashion weeks, but I think we can’t help but talk about some amazing moments that happened on the Milan runaways.

Milan Fashion Week lasted from the 19th to the 24th of September and featured major brands such as Diesel, Boss, Bottega Veneta, Prada, Ferragamo among others. The locations were varied, some brands preferred a classic and monochromatic environment (like Gucci) and others preferred a more colorful and fun background (like Diesel). Regardless of the location, we saw looks inspired by the past, innovative aesthetics, successful models and unmissable debuts on the catwalks. So, here are 5 iconic MFW moments you need to know about.

1- Flying with “Blumarine”

The “Blumarine” brand is already known for being iconic on the catwalks, but the 2023 spring/summer collection was mystical in beauty. With many gold pieces, drapes, lace and butterflies, the clothes showed incredible sophistication and delicacy. In addition to the clothes, bags and shoes, several looks were complemented with large white wings that were very reminiscent of the Greek gods! Simply impeccable!

2- The union between the old and the new Tom Ford

Tom Ford is known for his extensive work as a designer both for major brands (such as Gucci) and for his own brand “Tom Ford”. Unfortunately, in April this year, Tom ended his career with the brand, but that didn’t stop his legacy from being passed on. The brand’s new creative director, Peter Hawkins, created a beautiful collection that brings to light the house’s DNA and revives elements, shapes and ideas that were Ford’s trademark. Besides being modern, the collection brought a classic and elegant air to the catwalk.

3- New Gucci era

Sabato de Sarno presented his first collection as director of Gucci named “Ancora”. Although Alessandro Michele (former director) was a very important milestone in the brand’s history, Sabato brought an Italian minimalist vibe, leaving Alessandro’s extravagance and prints aside. The director’s debut distributed opinions among fashion enthusiasts, but I found the collection super “clean” and sophisticated – in a way that still maintained the brand’s identity.

4- Once bright, always bright

In particular, one of my favorite surprises from all fashion weeks was the model Claudia Schiffer closing the Versace show. In addition to a super fun and bright collection inspired by the brand’s 1995 summer collection, Donatella Versace also brought one of the biggest models in the world to close the show. The German supermodel had already modeled for the brand  several times throughout her career and was well known for being the muse of famous designer Karl Lagerfeld. At 53 years old and with a huge smile on her face, Claudia surprised everyone with her appearance.

5- Mature and sexy

Still talking about 90s supermodels, Naomi Campbell caught a lot of attention at the Dolce & Gabbana Spring Summer 2024 Fashion Sshow. With a collection full of lingerie and transparencies, the muse closed the brand’s fashion show with great elegance and sensuality. An interesting fact is that the model has a long history with the brand: in 2007, when she was sentenced to do community service in New York (after attacking her maid with a telephone), Naomi showed up at the place where she would be doing her service in a shinny dress from Dolce & Gabbana that caught a lot of attention and became a meme at the time.

——————————

The article above was edited by Larissa Buzon.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Se eu pudesse mudar a vida das pessoas usando as palavras assim como eu mudei a minha… Ah, peraí, eu posso (ou posso pelo menos tentar). Em meio a vários características – feminista, meio patricinha de São Paulo, geminiana, apaixonada por moda, obcecada por poemas e algumas outras- prometo tirar o maior proveito de todas elas para tentar alcançar um mundo mais cheio de respeito e amor.