Style > Fashion

September Issue: Why is September considered the most important month in fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Have you ever heard that “September is the January of fashion“? This sentence was said by Candy Pratt, fashion director, and perfectly defines the importance of the ninth month of the year for the fashion world. It kind of feels like a “new year” celebration where we’re blessed with special editions of our favorite fashion magazines.

This happens because, in the Northern Hemisphere, seasons change and so does the school year. By that time we have big fashion shows (New York, London, Milan and Paris) happening and bringing us all new spring/summer collections (while still in fall). This way, it’s possible to have an idea of what awaits us in the next season. It is also in September when the stores receive pieces from the March catwalks.

It all seems extremely perfect once we have the magazines in our hands, but I can assure you that it required an insane amount of work. The planning and editing process for the September issue is so complex and it takes so much time in advance. It even became a documentary, available on Prime Video called The September Issue, in which we can follow the queen Anna Wintour with the creative director of American Vogue, Grace Coddington, working for 5 months on the September 2007 cover of Vogue.

Besides being able to be the biggest edition of the year, the September issue is also filled with lots of advertisements, interesting interviews, innovative shootings and, of course, someone of great importance on the cover (let’s just take a second to imagine being able to say “I already featured on the cover of a September issue“)! Because of this massive importance, a lot of magazines have used this space to talk about social issues. An example was when, in 2020, Vogue’s 26 editions around the world came together (for the first time in 129 years) to work on a project titled “Hope” whose idea was to bring an optimistic perspective on several issues that were happening with the Covid-19 pandemic.

With all that being said, I think it’s time to have a little fun and go through some of the covers from the main Brazilian magazines this year. We’re obviously going to start by Vogue with the South Sudanese model Alek Wek (wearing Chanel). Besides being extremely pretty and having an amazing career, she is a member of the U.S. Committee for Refugees’ Advisory Council. Vogue Brazil was the only one in the list that has a person from another country as its cover. 

Now let’s talk about our beloved brazilians. Marina Ruy Barbosa was Marie Claire’s cover with a minimalist photoshoot. She was photographed in Milan and wears Gucci‘s fall/winter collection. As for Bazaar, it opted for several colorful and fun covers with different muses and the “Icons of Now” concept. Among them are Camila Queiroz, Raynara Negrine and Iza. The clothes varied between several maisons such as Valentino, Prada and Fendi. Lastly, Glamour also opted for lots of different covers with artists such as Pablo Vittar wearing Swarovski, Ludmilla wearing Estudio Cena and Giulia Be wearing Gucci. The photographs were taken from a closer perspective, with more attention paid to the make-up and the play of light.

It’s very complex to analyze September issues, mainly because there have already been so many iconic ones. Despite this, the ones from this year were really remarkable. The covers gave space to a good diversity and unique beauties, fundamental characteristics in the fashion universe. Now it’s time to rest and wait for next September. Happy New Year fashion lovers!

————————————————

The article above was edited by Mariana do Patrocínio.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Se eu pudesse mudar a vida das pessoas usando as palavras assim como eu mudei a minha… Ah, peraí, eu posso (ou posso pelo menos tentar). Em meio a vários características – feminista, meio patricinha de São Paulo, geminiana, apaixonada por moda, obcecada por poemas e algumas outras- prometo tirar o maior proveito de todas elas para tentar alcançar um mundo mais cheio de respeito e amor.