Suki Waterhouse shines on screen: now here’s why she should also be on your playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Daisy Jones & the Six, Love, Rosie, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, The Bad Batch, and Assassination Nation. You’ve probably heard of some of these movies. But did you know that they have one thing in common? And that answer can be given in two words: Suki Waterhouse

Suki shines on screen, but she also shines on stage. With her diverse artistic skills, she is sure to make at least one of her songs on your playlist. 

“MY GOOD LOOKING GIRL”

Waterhouse never left the media, but her success came back stronger after her song “Good Looking” went viral on TikTok. Practically at the same time that she opened for Father John Misty’s U.S. tour. 

She has released a handful of singles since 2016, beginning with her debut single “Brutally.” And, after that her first album  I Can’t Let Go came to the world in May 2022. Suki’s songs can be considered smooth, their pace is slower, but it’s still engaging. One of the most striking references that can be perceived is Lana Del Rey, both use melancholic melodies and lyrics to build albums and singles.

One of her latest works is the EP Milk Teeth. To Rolling Stone, Suki said that her earlier experiences and careers culminated in the EP.

“From the first time I started putting out music [my sound has] definitely changed. For my album, I remember thinking that I wanted the sound … I kind of think about it in movie terms. What would Thelma and Louise be listening to if they were driving off the side of a cliff? The sound kind of came to me from thinking a lot about where I wanted people to listen to my music. The songs are always about having something to externalize and memorialize times in your life that don’t exist anymore”, she said.

PANDEMIC upturn

The pandemic was a turning point in Suki’s music career. In addition to recording Daisy Jones And The Six as the character Karen Sirko, which was a literary and audiovisual success, she managed to make her music become a hit. In an interview to The Independent in November 2022, Waterhouse talked about her turning point in music during lockdown: “It definitely took me time to feel like I was allowed to release music, to be seen in a different way. I said to myself, if you don’t do this right now, you’re never going to do it. And you’ll always f–king hate yourself because you didn’t”.

Since then, she has played several shows and festivals and released the single “To Love”. That maintains the sad girl vibe she’s been building – and we are loving!

Want to add Suki Waterhouse to your playlist? Start here:

——————————————-

The article above was edited by Isadora Noronha.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

👯‍♀️ Related: Daisy Jones and The Six: Get to Know More Books Adaptations For the Screen 
Isadora Costa

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student passionate about any form of art. Telling stories fascinates and that's what I'm trying to do here.