Daisy Jones And The Six at the end of the show
Prime Video

Daisy Jones and The Six: Get to Know More Books Adaptations For the Screen 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Daisy Jones and The Six’s series adaptation was released on Amazon Prime Video on March 2nd – and the final episodes are already available on the streaming since yesterday. The fictional 70’s rock ‘n roll band’s story is based on a Taylor Jenkins Reid book and it’s succeeding between the fans and the audience. 

With a good reception and being considered a faithful book adaptation, other fan bases are expecting a similar production when their favourite books come to the screen. In this list, there are some books that are close (or not so) to achieving this destiny.

More of “Taylor Jenkins Reid” Universe 

One True Loves 

This is one of the most famous Taylor’s books out of her celebrity universe. The romance tells Emma’s story, a woman who was married to a man named Jesse, until the day that his helicopter fell out on a trip and he was considered dead. Years later, when she was at her engagement dinner with her fiance, Sam, she received a call telling that Jesse is alive. 

The movie stars Phillipa Soo as Emma, Simu Liu as Sam and Luke Bracey as Jesse, and will go out in cinemas on April 7h. 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The acclaimed book is about a 60’s actress called Evelyn Hugo, who is mainly famous mainly for being married seven times with different husbands. Years later, at 80 years old, she decided to tell her story for the first time, and for that, she chose the journalist Monique Grant for mysterious reasons. 

Netflix announced the movie adaptation in March 2022. Taylor Jenkins Reid is working in the production and recently disclosed that the script is ready, highlighting that she is impressed with Liz Tigelarr, the screenwriter, job. 

Malibu Rising

The story follows an important day in the Riva´s family. Nina, Hud, Jay and Kit are Mick Rivas’ sons, a famous singer that appears in every Taylor’s book in the celebrities universe, and  they organise every year a big party for all Malibu elite. The siblings are successful in their lives, but they grow up with a problematic mom and an absent father, as well as personal problems. However, it seems that everything starts to fall apart in one day.

Adaptations that are coming

Red, White and Royal Blue

The Casey McQuiston’s best-selling novel tells the unexpected romance between Alex, the son of the president of the United States, and Henry, the England prince. The book goes through the challenges that they will need to face because of that love.

A movie adaptation on Amazon Prime Video is already filmed, starring Taylor Zakhar as Alex and Nicholas Galitzine as Henry. However, there is no premiere date yet.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

The adventures of Percy Jackson, a 12 year old boy who discovers himself as a half-blood and son of the Greek god Poseidon, will win a new adaptation. In 2010, the first book was adapted into a movie, starring Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson, but because of so many crucial differences between book and movie, it wasn’t well received by the fans. A second movie came to be released, but with terrible reviews, was the last one of the saga. 

Now, the books will be adapted in a Disney+ series, with the author – Rick Riordan – being an important part of the production. Starring Walker Scobell as Percy, Leah Jeffries as Annabeth and Aryan Simhadri as Grover, with big names in the cast, like Lin Manuel Miranda as god Hermes and Jason Mantzoukas as god Dionisio, the first season shootings are finished. Now, the fans are waiting for the release date. 

Um ano inesquecível (An Unforgettable Year)

Amazon Prime Video will adapt a Brazilian book. Written by Thalita Rebouças, Paula Pimenta, Bruna VieiraBabi Dewet, the book is a four tales reunion, which each one happens during a different year season. For that reason, four movies will be released, still in 2023.

Each tale talks about different aspects of teenagers: first love, first meetings, parties, travels…  Following the tales names, the movies will be nominated as year seasons: summer, fall, winter and spring. 

Some adaptations to keep an eye on 

There are some books that had their rights bought for some producer, but there aren’t any news about them. A good example is The Selection adaptation, which was announced by Netflix in 2020, but there is no information since then. This is the third attempt to adapt this story for TV or cinema and it doesn’t look good.

Something similar is happening with The Kanes Chronicles, an Egyptian mythology saga in the same universe as Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Netflix announced a movie adaptation in 2020, but like The Selection, there aren’t any news. However, in this case, a possible reason is the Percy Jackson adaptation, which is Rick Riordan priority at the moment. 

Among the most recent adaptation announcements are The Two Die in the End (Adam Silvera) as a Netflix series, Eragon (Christopher Paolini) in a Disney+ series, The Poppy War (Rebecca F. Kuang) for TV, Turtles in Way Earth (John Green) as an HBO Max movie, Iron Widow (Xiran Jay Zhao) for cinema, and others.

——————————————-

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Julia Pujar

Casper Libero '21

18 anos Paixão por cultura pop Análises de filmes, livros e séries