Old But Gold: TV Series From The Past Everyone Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Watching old series is one of the best ways to travel to the past and get to know amazing stories. In this list, I decided to share four old shows that are very special to me!

It is always important to remember that any series, movie, or book is a product of its time! Some series from the past approach themes in a different way than we are used to. So it is paramount to watch each production with this reminder in mind. It is also essential to check for any kind of trigger before watching a series!

The X Files (1993-2002 | 2016-2018)

The year was 2015 and I was completely addicted to supernatural series like The Vampire Diaries and Teen Wolf. My dad noticed that I was enjoying that kind of genre and said that I should start watching X-Files. I didn’t know too much about the production, only that it was about aliens and my father loved it intensely (he has all the DVDs at home!).

Here is the synopsis: There is a special division of the FBI known as The X-Files. This area is designed to investigate cases that have no normal explanations. The head of the department (and until then the only member) is Agent Fox Mulder. Then, the FBI decides to send doctor and agent Dana Scully to observe Mulder’s work. She starts to investigate with him the most strange and varied cases all over the country, besides trying to understand a conspiracy involving the government of the United States.

First of all, it is important to point out that this show has nothing to do with the supernatural series I mentioned before. But I thank my father for introducing me to it because although these productions are no longer my favorites, X-Files still has a very special place in my heart. Also, because I’ve watched all the episodes with my father, I feel that the series has created a special bond between us.

The X-Files is the kind of production that keeps you very attached and involved. Mulder and Scully are very fascinating characters, each one in their way. And it is simply beautiful to see the two of them developing a beautiful relationship despite their different beliefs. For me, this is the main message of the series and a lesson that makes a lot of sense, even after so many years since the launch of the show.

Beverly Hills 90210 (1990-2000)

Beverly Hills 90210 is probably the most iconic series of the 90s. The plot follows the arrival of siblings Brandon and Brenda Walsh from Minnesota to Beverly Hills. The seasons are dedicated to telling the story of them and their group of friends during high school until adulthood, dealing with the main dilemmas of their age, love relationships, and friendships.

Many judges the production as silly. But it was a significant milestone within TV series, especially in the teen segment. It was Beverly Hills 90210 that started the model of teen stories we watch until today: 16-year-old characters played by older actors, beautiful and well-dressed people, and plots involving romances, friendships, or family. Do you recognize any show that fits this pattern?

Despite the giant seasons, some holes in the script, and superficial treatment of some covered topics, this show brought episodes discussing the importance of using condoms, virginity, pregnancy, drugs, and much more. Today, the way TV series approach these topics is quite different, but 90210 played an important role in encouraging conversation about these issues among young people.

This production came just at the right time in my life. I was in my freshman year of college, which was 100% online because of the pandemic. It was very exhausting balancing college work with the worries related to Covid. And the moments that I spent watching Beverly Hills 90210 helped me a lot to have something to distract me and forget a little bit about the tension.

I remember that for months this series was my strength to get through the week. Knowing that I would watch an episode of the show at the end of the day motivated me to do all my college assignments.

Dawson’s Creek (1998-2003)

Dawson’s Creek is one of the most adorable series I have ever seen in my entire life. It follows the story of a group of friends who live in the small town of Capeside. It is a very common model of a series. The main character is Dawson, a dreamer boy. His best friend is the playful Pacey. Joey, the girl next door, is in love with Dawson, but he only has eyes for Jen, the girl who has just arrived from the big city.

Looking at the synopsis, it sounds like an ordinary teen show, but Dawson’s Creek succeeds in distinguishing itself from other teen series because of its mature and sensitive approach.

The show can mix correctly the focus on important issues in youth and light-hearted moments. Dawson’s Creek is a series that teaches you a lot and also warms your heart.

Even though he is named in the title, Dawson, the protagonist of the series, is the least captivating character and has numerous moments where he acts in an extremely irritating and childish way. But despite this, characters like Joey, Pacey, Jen, Jack, and Andie make every moment of the series worthwhile.

I remember watching all 128 episodes of Dawson’s Creek in less than a month. It was a wonderful experience of immersion into the series universe. I keep the characters in my heart and I’m always re-watching one episode or another when I need to relax.

Law & Order SVU (1999-Current Days)

Law & Order SVU is a detective series set in New York City that premiered in 1999 and has been on the air to the current day, with more than 500 episodes. The production tells the story of cases assigned to the police Special Victims Unit. This division investigates sexual crimes that are considered especially heinous in the US criminal justice system. The script of many episodes is inspired by real cases that have been reported in the media.

The main plot of the series is made up of detectives Olivia Benson and Elliot Stabler. And what a wonderful duo! Following them for so many episodes is not tiring at all, on the contrary, it’s amazing.

The person who introduced me to this series was my grandmother. I spent many afternoons at her house watching Law & Order SVU on the TV and I even memorized the opening text that is narrated at the beginning of every episode (I can say it by heart any time!). Also, it was cool to be able to discuss the episodes with my grandma and how much we love Detectives Benson and Stabler.

I never stopped to watch all the episodes in exact sequence, but I’ve lost count of how many of them I’ve watched over the years.

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Giovana Lins Barbosa

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Giovanna Ragano

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student at Casper Libero. Passionate about literature, fashion and TV shows. Always listening to Lana del Rey or Danna Paola on headphones.