This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Skincare is a term used to refer to the health of our skin and the products that we need to use to help to keep the skin clean and healthy. It consisted of a  routine that depends on the type of skin presented by each person since it will directly influence the types of cosmetics necessary to make it look better and healthier.

In a pandemic context, the skincare business had a huge financial movement – especially by the demand for face cosmetics – like anti-aging creams, masks, exfoliating sponges, and massagers for the face.

This consumption increase – before and after coronavirus – comes from the Social Media’s influence once we are exposed daily to advertisements because brands are investing a lot of money on digital influencers that test their products and recommend them to other people that follow them on Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, etc.

And since a lot of us have some doubts about what kind of products and what kind of process we should use to preserve the health of the skin, and for this reason, the dermatologist Silvia Kariya Takahashi – a specialist in skin care and skin-related clinical problems – talked to us about how to keep your face pretty and healthy.

The Basic Skincare Routine

According to Dr. Silvia, the skincare routine needs to fulfill three simple objectives for the skin’s health: skin hygiene, solar protection, and hydration. There are a lot of cosmetics available for this kind of routine, but it’s important to search for products suitable for each type of skin – be it normal, dry, mixed, or oily.

And it’s essential to consult a skin specialist to know what you can apply to your skin type. Only they will know the right steps to better help your skin. For example, the usage of exfoliating products, which averagely should be done once a week if your skin is normal. But in some exclusive cases, can be done more than once depending on the indication and necessity for each person. Oh, and don’t forget that the products must have good quality and precedence.

Consult An Expert

Dr. Silvia continued by saying that “the frequency to consult a dermatologist depends on the case. If yours is a basic routine, the ideal is to visit your doctor once a year. But, in case of a very specific treatment — like acne, melasma, and capillary fall, or another dermatologic condiction — when it depends on the scale of the problem, they will recommend you“.

Take Care Of Your Body And Mind’s Health

Keeping a balanced and healthy diet can be crucial to keep your skin
good. Some dermatological diseases require some food restrictions – for example, urticaria and dermatitis – and some problems involving proven allergic cases. Emotions can affect your skin too. Dr. Silvia said that “emotional instability can cause hair loss, dermatitis, rosacea, psoriasis, vitiligo, etc”.

So take care of your whole body’s health and your mind too!

Know Your Products

Not using adequate cosmetics for your skin type can elevate the oiliness, worsening of acne, cause skin sensibility, and allergies. As a negative effect example, the use of exfoliating cosmetics on dry skin will cause more dryness. She reinforced searching for a dermatologist to receive a proper recommendation about your skin type and the necessary products that you should apply.

Skin Cleansing

Everyone knows that cleaning your skin is an important and famous step in the skincare routine. When asked about it, Dr. Silvia said that cleansing your skin brings a lot of benefits for the acne-prone skin, and it works like aiding on dermatologic treatments.

Homemade Recipes

Although Dr. Silvia doesn’t know a lot about homemade recipes, she pointed out that there are a lot of excellent and accessible products and people always should search for before exposing their skin to any sort of risk that could provoke a reaction that can happen especially if it involves the usage of medicinal plants.

The Masks

Dr. Silvia also talked about the masks that we have on the skincare market and, according to her, “the masks are asset concentrates and they bring a lot of benefits for skin depending on its functionality”. It can help with hydration, oil control, rejuvenation, and soothing effect.

Although the masks being very useful and beneficial, they should be used according to the necessities of your skin type, meaning that we have to be very sure before applying these products.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Rafaela Bertolini

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

19 years old Hi I'm Lívia and I'm in my first year of journalism at Cásper Líbero. As a journalist I hope to listen to the others and have the opportunity to be heard, always fulfilling with the social duty of jornalism.