Career

Looking For An Internship? Here Are 5 Tips To Make a Memorable Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

At the beginning of our careers, finding a job can be challenging. It can even start to get frustrating, because sometimes we don’t know the mistakes we are making. Many factors can weigh in, but one thing we know for sure: having a well-made resume is a turning point for everyone, because it’s the entrance door to our skills and experiences. I bet you have asked yourself: “Is my resume good enough?”. Now you can have that answer. But always keep in mind that there is no perfect formula, because every hiring agent has their own way to judge!

Check out a few tips to make a great and complete resume!

Balance

What I mean by balance is, don’t write too much or too little personal information. Keep the phrases short, the main point of a resume is to be objective. Also know how to organize the information, that is very helpful to catch the eye of the agents.

On personal information there’s no need to tell your whole life story, keep your focus on important information as:

• Full name
  • Age
  • Email
  • Telephone for contact
  • Professional social media (LinkedIn)
  • What is your area (for example: journalist, engineer, dentist)
AppleEmploy ArticleHero Concept?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Describe your degree

Your academic experiences are also crucial information. Write where you went to school (and when you finished it), the college you are currently attending and what your major is. Objectively describe your graduations as so:

• Course
  • Institution
  • Period of your studies (Finished or in course)
Qualifications

One of the most important parts of your resume! This is where you’re going to list your skills and specify them. If you know how to use any programs and platforms this is the place to talk about them.

For example:

• Social Media
  • Adobe packages
  • Office packages
  • Communication skills

Still keep in mind to be objective, it’s not recommended to have a huge list of skills, choose wisely the most important ones and that are comparable with the chosen company or field you’re interested in.

Professional experience

You should give special attention to this segment. It’s where you show your most relevant experiences, from most recent to least. In case you’re applying for your first internship and don’t have any prior experiences in other companies, there’s no problem. What you can do is work with your university experiences, such as experimental labs, published articles, monitoring experience and research groups. Always remember to locate and date when it all happened.

LinkedIn and Portfolios

Publishing your work and experiences is necessary. Especially nowadays that everything is online, your work must be exposed. Everyone is on LinkedIn, it’s now where the recruiting is happening and where the openings are announced, so if you’re still not a part of it, I highly recommend you join in. It’s a place where you can show what you can do freely and it works as an online resume that anyone in that community can access, which makes it easier for companies to come to you.

That happens because you can join the app as a company or an employee. In the case of the companies, it allows them to advertise job openings through the app and research employees with a specific profile that fits what they’re looking for.

About the portfolios, it has the same goal of exposing your work. It’s a good option for people who work with communication and arts. Because it will be your own site destined for all your work, so anyone who accesses it can get familiar with the totality of your content.

If you do have one, don’t forget to include  the link on your resume!

Getting your first internship can be hard, it’s normal to have questions and be a little anxious about it. Hopefully these tips will put you on a good path.

—————————————————

The article above was written by Julia Mello Marcelino and edited by Amanda Moraes. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero homepage for more!

Julia Marcelino

Casper Libero '23

20 years old old, journalist to be in love with telling good stories!