Wellness > Sex + Relationships

It’s A Trap: Toxic Relationships Are Just Like Demolition Derbies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Let’s be honest: toxic relationships are suspiciously similar to demolition derbies. At first, you can’t measure the damage, you can’t predict what can happen. However, once it starts, the bruises come in an unrelenting sequence. Fire. Destruction. Demolition.

And that’s when the hard part comes, the acceptance and the understanding of the situation. How can someone so close to me have such a negative influence? The answer is somewhat simple: superiority brings power to people.

In demolition derbies, to win, people have to destroy others. The one who has the least damaged car wins. In those relationships, to succeed, people have to destroy others. The one who has the least damaged heart wins.

Once you realize you are in the middle of a muddy field with a target drawn in your forehead, you begin to understand. You understand why your friends were in the arena screaming for you to get back to your senses. The reason why they kept telling you that you had changed for the worst. The reason why they warned you.

It’s not easy being in their shoes, either. The feeling of seeing someone you care about being beaten up and torn apart and knowing that you can’t do anything about it is hideous. You’re watching the derby without asking for it, and you’re in the first row, just behind the nets and fences. You are so close yet so far.

So rather than sticking to a sketchy and harmful demolition derby, listen to the ones who encourage you the most and escape the arena as fast as possible.

You deserve careful midnight drives and drive-in dates, not damaged car bodies and broken windows.

This piece was inspired by 5 Seconds of Summers’s “Lie To Me” music video.

👯‍♀️ Related: 5 Green Flags to Look Out for When Dating
Amanda Oestreich

Casper Libero '22

Journalism major, playlist enthusiast and enemies-to-lovers #1 fan Campus Correspondent @ Her Campus at Cásper Líbero