“How I Met Your Mother” Is Better Than “Friends”, And Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When we think about classic and funny TV shows, we will always remember about Friends or How I Met Your Mother, thanks to their legacy and how many people they´ve reached. Even with these productions being considered “old”, they still have a lot of fans, new ones and others which have been draged since 1994 and 2005. As every good TV show, they definitetly have a huge crowd of loyals and fanatic supporters that will always got their back and discuss about which one is better. I´ve always seen a lot of people talking about it and they couldn´t get into an ultimate decision. So, based on one of the most famous arguing, let´s talk about why How I Met Your Mother is better than Friends.

Anyone can notice that they have some scenarios in common, so as characters, but the way their context flows changes every detail about it. First of all, HIMYM has a context which is more uninterrupted as Friends, that if you didn´t watch an episode, you can follow with the other one without losing the show´s idea. On the other hand, HIMYM is based on the main character Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor), who started telling his children, in 2030, about how he met their mother. During the conversation, he starts to introduce his passed love stories and some adventures that he had gone through with Marshall (Jason Segel), Lily (Alyson Hannigan), Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), Robin (Cobie Smulders) and people they´ve met across their lives.

When we start to compare both shows, we can actually understand why Friends got more famous and accurated by the public. I guess it´s because they didn´t approach problematic subjects, becoming an easier option to watch. I´m not saying they hadn´t adressed some issues, for sure they had, but we need to catch it between the lines. Different from How I Met Your Mother, which the public could easily reach their traumas, understand their feelings and how they dealed with them. TV shows which we can keep up the character´s personal growing are the best type, and that´s how I and many other people feel about this production.

Not only the characters and the context, but HIMYM it´s also known by their thoughtful and funny phrases, which will be stick in your mind! By the end of each episode, Ted always leaves a reflection about his life and the situation he is passing by. However, Friends does have iconic phrases, such as Joey Tribbiani’s (Matt LeBlanc) “how you doing?”, but, we pay way more attention on the humoristic kind. For this reason, I´ve separated a Top #5 comic quotes, which will contribute to elevate How I Met Your Mother for #1 place in your heart!

“It´s going to be legen – wait for it – dary!”

That is the most said and known quote on HIMYM. Barney Stinson uses it everytime that something awesome is going to happen – but almost every situation ended up in a catastrophic event!

“Marshall, this is an intervention”

Every time one of the group is facing a crise and can´t get out, they do an intervention to talk about it and help anyone of them, no matter who. But, be carefull: an intervation is used just when it´s very, very, very necessary!

“That cake. Best cake I ever had. Seriously, my stomach was like, ‘Hey bro, I don’t know what you’re eating cause I don’t have any eyes but it’s basically awesome, so keep sending it down Gullet Alley.”

This one shows up quickly, but, leaves us with a little taste about how funny and nonsense HIMYM is, and that´s why it´s so amazing! If Marshall talks like this about a cake, you can´t even imagine how is he talking about important stuff!

“A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth.”

If we stop to think about it, that´s not a lie! It was said by Barney too. He is not the best person to be inspired by and, for sure, hasn´t the best personality in the world. But, without him, the show wouldn´t be the same. In the back, he is the funniest character and that´s no doubt!

“I would have stolen you a whole orchestra.”

Last but not least, not a funny quote, but almost the most remembered! For those who have watched HIMYM, this one hurts like a bullet, for those who hasn´t, what are you waiting for? You´re not going to regreat it, I´m giving you my word!

Even so, we can´t deny that How I Met Your Mother has wonderful shippers! All of them have chemistry and something that keeps your attention, even if you don’t support them. Also, each one has an turbulant and lovely story which can make you feel almost like part of the couple – by the way, Ted´s crazy relationships while trying to forget Robin are exceptions for that chemistry I said before. For sure they are more interesting than Friends’ love stories, and maybe the main reason is because HIMYM has “love” as the main subject. Also, Ted and Robin´s first kiss kills Rachel and Ross´ one.

After all, as a result of these iconic TV shows, we have two incredible stories and legendary characters, which will be remembered for a long time. Even with HIMYM being better than Friends, we must admit that both of them were important when we talk about marking generations and changing the TV´s humor. You can watch How I Met Your Mother on Amazon Prime Video or searching on Google Drive, for sure you´re going to find it! Hope I´ve changed your mind about this production and made you understand why it is an amazing TV show.

———————————————————

The article above was edited by Isadora Noronha Pereira.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Georgia Ponce

Casper Libero '24

estudante de relações públicas; São Paulo, Brasil; apaixonada em descobrir e adquirir novos conhecimentos.