Guardians of the Galaxy VOL. 3: was it everything we expected?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The last film in James Gunn‘s trilogy has finally arrived at the cinema – to the happiness of some and the surprise of others. Her Campus took the opportunity and already watched the movie to make a complete review without spoilers.

Volume 3 of Guardians of the Galaxy exceeded the expectations of many who believed that Marvel had forgotten how to make a superhero movie. With breathtaking action sequences and emotional cutscenes that make you cry, Guardians of the Galaxy VOL. 3 is the movie that will remind you of your love for the studio.

A mature film

Volume 3 of the trilogy is certainly the most serious and mature of all. The plot follows a story with a strong emotional charge about one of the main characters and brings the idea of ​​belonging as its main message. With the film, we realize for the first time clearly that nothing will be the same as before… but that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

In addition to the emotional weight of the story, the feature is more adult in the action scenes and even in the lines, since this is the first Marvel movie that has a scene with a swear word.

Avengers-Level Threat

This time, James Guun opted for a more intimate plot, without using the already exhausting feature that the danger the heroes face could end the world or the entire universe. The villain is well-built and, in fact, makes you intrigued. It is worth mentioning the performance of Chukwudi Iwuji, as The High Evolutionary, who delivered a complex and obsessed character in the right measure.

With this choice of an antagonist without being an Avengers-level threat, it showed that Marvel is indeed capable of creating a decent and scary villain without having to threaten to destroy the planet several times.

The CGI we deserve

After the recent criticism that the MCU received regarding the misuse of CGI (Computer-generated imagery) in their films, they finally got the visual effects right. The feature presents several extraterrestrial beings that, thanks to the creative team, were all well done. In addition, the fight scenes that needed the help of effects were pleasant to look at with almost no noticeable use of them.

Character development

The first two films in the trilogy focused more on Peter Quill‘s personal development. This time, the plot turns its attention to the other guardians as well, which could be risky, since it is difficult to give this level of importance to several characters at the same time. However, the movie brought us closer to all of the protagonists without it becoming tiring. This helped with the drama of the story, as we finally felt part of the family of guardians.

It is worth highlighting the development of three characters: Rocket, Mantis, and Gamora. Our beloved raccoon was the main focus of the film, exploring his painful past and bringing us closer to the character. While Mantis, who hadn’t had much space in the second film, presented her growth in the story and finally showed her relevance. And last but not least, Gamora, thanks to Zoë Saldaña‘s acting show, delivered a daughter of Thanos as we’ve never seen in a fantastic way.

A point that could have been better explored is the story of Adam Warlock and his people because the antagonist is nothing more than a simple distraction much of the time.

Comedy in measure

It’s not Guardians of The Galaxy without comedy, and this time was no different. The film gives you hilarious scenes without being forced (unlike what we saw in Thor: Love and Thunder). All the humor scenes are well allocated, not needing to leave the script just to have a joke.

Ending a Cycle

Guardians of the Galaxy VOL. 3 closed another MCU cycle, which is painful, but opens doors to a new future. This film has a great chance of becoming the favorite of the lovers of the Marvel Cinematographic Universe, as its cycle ends at the right time and in the right way possible. It didn’t have to rely on a huge cinematic lineup or deliver just fan service, the movie was enough in itself.

In addition to delivering what we expected, volume 3 exceeded any fan expectations. So, if you’ve been missing getting excited about a new Marvel movie, you won’t regret seeing this movie, after all… we are Groot!

🎥 Related: What can we expect from the female characters in this new MCU phase?

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more.

Gianne Oliveira

Casper Libero '24

22 years Journalism student at Cásper Líbero Great passion for music, art and books