brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Editing 101: The Most Amazing Apps To Wake Up The Photographer Inside You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The world is all about images. Taking pictures is one of the many ways people can show others a little bit about their worlds. One of the most amazing things about photography is that you can play with your photo and transform it into anything you like. It’s your angle, your object, your creation. You can show it as realistic as it is, or you can edit everything and create something completely new. However, editing isn’t as easy as it seems, and because of that we decided to ask some casperians that love to take and edit pictures which programs do they use, and what do they create.

Julia Benini, junior in Journalism, and Amanda Luccas, senior in Public Relations, like to use the VSCO app. According to them, it is one of the bests on bringing the image closer to its reality. “VSCO is my best friend. I like to take a lot of pictures and I can’t publish them without modifying shadow, contrast and basic stuff”, says Amanda.                                                VSCO is a free app available for Android and iOS devices.

Credits: Julia Benini

Credits: Amanda Luccas

Karem Keiko, sophomore in Journalism, also uses VSCO, but she likes the Instagram as well. “The Instagram have the same tools as VSCO, but as you can edit right on in the app you’ll post the pic, it makes things easier”.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Instagram is a free app available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices.

This picture was only edited with Instagram. Credits: Karem Keiko

For Isabella Mori, junior in Journalism, PS Express and Snapseed are the apps she uses the most. “I like Snapseed because it has advanced editing tools that helps you recover some damaged images, in the matter of lighting, color and contrast. The PS Express has some pretty cool filters, my favorite is the B&W”.                                                                                      PS Express is a free app available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices. Snapseed is also a free app, but only available for Android and iOS phones.

Photo edited with PS Express. Credits: Isabella Mori

Junior in Journalism, Camila Junqueira uses PicsArt just as Giovanna Bronze, also a junior in Journalism. “I used to have a lot of apps, but nowadays I only use PicsArt! It has filters and tools to correct imperfections. Comparing to Instagram, PicsArt is better for adjusting contrast, saturation and other basic stuffs.” Giovanna highlights that PicsArt is great for collages and frames, as much as she prefers VSCO filters.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         PicsArt is a free app available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices.

Credits: Camila Junqueira

Here, Giovanna shows us the before of a picture she edited

Last but not least, Cibele Pontes, already graduated on Radio, TV and Internet, has a lot of tips and apps to tell us about. “First, I edit them on Afterlight. On this app I adjust basic stuff like contrast, shadows and saturation. After that I go to the Camera+, where I apply a cool filter called HDR, that adjust all the picture’s areas without ‘harming’ it”. Also, when Cibele wants to correct some imperfection on her photo, she uses the FaceTune app. “There’s also the Snapseed, the one I use if, for example, I took a picture of myself with the sea behind me and I end up looking dark. I’ve already modified the clarity of my picture but I’m still dark, so, with this app I can choose to modify myself only, without letting the sea all white. It’s really good!”. Afterlight is available for USD 0,99 at Apple Store, R$2,52 at Google Play and R$3,50 at Windows Store. Camera+ is available for USD 2,99 at Apple Store only. FaceTune is available for R$4,99 at Google Play and USD 3,99 at Apple Store.

Credits: Cibele Pontes

Andressa Isfer

Casper Libero '18

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.